need xbox 360 help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NotFastEnuff, May 3, 2010.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hey guys. My 360's fan has started making one helluva racket. It's about a year old (just out of full warranty) and it's not a noise any of our 360s have made before. It is so loud that I have to turn the tv up louder to hear it. After a little while, it'll quite down. It's kinda got me freaked out. I've blown it out with air thinking it might have something in the fan, but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

2. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

3. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    I've looked at that, and wouldn't care to, but it's still under the 3 year RRoD warranty. If I did that, it would void it. Thanks though. It's something I'm thinking about after the RRoD runs out.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    are you running your games off the hard drive?

5. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    With the sound its making i'm guessing not. But its a good tip though, an Xbox 360 will run quieter if the game its running is installed to the hard drive.

Also stay away from fans or anything that blows air into your console, they really don't help and can just as likely cause more issues.

Is your console stood vertical or lay horizontal? I know for a fact the console does run quieter when lay horizontal due to how the disc mechanism works, so if you have it vertical, take your game out, turn the console off, lay it horitzontal and power it up and see how it goes.

6. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    It lays horizontal. It does it even when there's a game not in it. It'll do it when I boot it up with no disk, and I'm on XBL. It's not something it's done from the beginning. This is something that's just started in the last week or two. It almost sounds like there's something stuck in the fan, but I've blown it out repeatedly, and the sound comes and goes. I don't know what's wrong with it.