Need XBL help or advice

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Galaxy Convoy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Okay, when it comes to Networking I don't really know much. Just something I've never had to mess with. Anyway, we switched from Cable BB to DSL not too long ago, and ever since I've been unable to use Xbox Live to its fullest.

I'm unable to actually connect/join games with *some* people. For instance, tried to play a game with a friend one night and we just couldn't connect. I couldn't join his game, and vice versa when we tried that. We couldn't even connect on the dashboard to voice chat. Further, when just playing with random people, Halo 3 matchmaking for example, I could join some games, but not others.

This did have me perplexed for awhile. Then I had to the bright idea to go the Network Settings thing on the 360's dashboard and have it test the connection. It found a problem concerning something called "NAT". Said it was closed when it should be open instead. Now like I said, I don't know much about Networking. So I have no idea what "NAT" is. So I figure and hope somebody around here more than likely does and can tell what it is and how I can remedy this? It would be most appreciated.

2. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Same thing happened with me and my friends especially in Halo. Not sure quite what the problem is but it has something to do with your router having certain privacy settings set. I would recommend finding out the make and model of your router, googling it, and then turning said privacy settings off. Sorry this isn't more specific but I'm not too computer savvy.

3. Galaxy Convoy

Come on now. I refuse to believe that there's nobody around here that doesn't know alot about this kind of thing.

4. Slacker

Slacker Slacker Supreme

5. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

There's your first problem there ;) 

Seriously though, the speed of the connection can cause issues. With DSL, the further you are from the main DSL hub, the slower your connection is. The amount of people connected on the DSL can cause issues too. Plus it goes through the phone lines, outside and inside the home. Age of the lines can cause issues also. Cable internet usually doesn't have these issues.

I'm not saying this just because I do internet tech support for a cable company, I've seen this from experience. I had DSL a few years ago, and it was always slow. I love my cable internet.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Add firewall exceptions for ports 88 and 3074 to Windows Firewall and name them XBox 1 and XBox2. That should change the NAT Settings to Open.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It's a NAT issue. You probably have a restricted NAT, check your router settings and use the xbox live setup thing to see for sure, if that's the case then google your router model and xbox live because no doubt other people are having similar issues.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

What does the Windows firewall have to do with his Xbox?

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

It doesn't. Someone is doing a lot of assuming.

10. Galaxy Convoy

Eh, it wasn't my choice. Dad's paying the bills and made the switch to something cheaper. I've been less than happy about the DSL so far. This issue and the overall slowness. It's fine for the surfing the net, but at times it gets slow on XBL(downloading vids, demos, etc.).

There's just one thing though. We don't have a router hooked up. We had one when we had cable BB, but when we switched and hooked the DSL modem up, couldn't get it to work with the DSL. The connection just stopped dead at the router and I had no idea how to access the router's settings and stuff.

Like I said, I don't know much about Networking, plus I wasn't even home back then the day we had the cable BB installed, too see how everything was done. All I could think of was taking the hub that I had my PC and 360 connected to and putting it in place of the router, making a working split connection between my PC and Dad's. And that night was when I discovered this NAT problem. Tried to play some football with a friend and we couldn't connect unless he direct connected to his modem. But that cut off his parent's PC, so that wasn't feasible.

So yeah, that's my problem.

11. TheIncredibleHulk

Yeah, I'd say you're pretty much screwed then with the XBL connection until you get something better than DSL.

As far as your router, I think you have to change the internal IP that it uses. If your DSL modem is the same as the ones we have, it uses an IP address on 192.168.1.1, most routers use the same thing. So you have to change your router's IP to something like 192.168.1.2. You can usually find out how to change that by searching Google, or if absolutely have to, call the router manufacturer (which by the way, if you have a Linksys, their number is 1-800-326-7114, I give their number to so many customers, I have it memorized :lol ).

12. Galaxy Convoy

Hmm, so it might be something with the DSL itself then? Well shit.

Now that I think about it, I had to call up the tech help line to get everything set up right. We got it going at first, and after I explained that we had two PCs and a router, we tried to get that running. She had me change a setting with the modem and then try the router, and when it didn't wanna work, she had me change that setting back to what it was. Could that be the problem? Or am I hopelessly screwed?

13. TheIncredibleHulk

Its probably the DSL. My company has a few areas where we offer DSL, and even we know its shit. 90% of the time, if I get a DSL call, the modem's offline. Its a normal thing to see whole DSL areas down and there's really nothing we can do about it. There's too many factors involved.

My advice is to chip in for a faster, better connection.

14. Galaxy Convoy

Well crap. Ah well. Thanks for the help anyway Hulk.