need wireless router help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ssjautobot, Jan 30, 2007.

1. ssjautobot

ssjautobot Banned

News Credits:
    i tried using a linksys wireless-b broadband router to connec my ps3 to the internet, and it did work...kinda. but every 30 seconds or so, i would get the message saying that i was dissconnected from the network, even though i was getting a fairly strong signal.

my friend said that it may be because its a fairly old router. (he gave it to me for free) and he said that i should get a newer one.

does anyone recommend a really good one that is resonably priced?

EDIT: i was however able to update to 1.5, which makes my ps2 games look sweet now!

2. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I have a linksys wireless router that's for G and B (can't tell you what that means yet). It seemed to be fairly recent, but I always had problems with it, where I kept getting DNS errors all the time. Finally I flashed the chip so now it thinks its a different router brand.

The short of this is, it might just be a linksys thing. Try another type of router. Hopefully there are others with brand recomendations.

3. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

though not on a game console...i had that same problem with my laptop if i were using WEP encryption....then i'd go to WPA2 encryption and have no issues...mines was on a Zyxel (or something like that)

5. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Mmm, my old router needed 4 pass numbers. You only actually needed one to connect, but after a minute or so it would disconnect without any of the other 4 pass number on your PC, so it might just be your security hamming things up.

6. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

B, G, and now A (I think) are all just the type of signal the router sends. I believe the only main difference is speed of the signal as G(54mps) is faster than B, and A is faster than G. A (if I'm right with that lettering) is kind of new and isn't supported by a whole lot of things.

Personally I use a Microsoft router. While it is great and has never given me any problems there is one flaw in that it has a built in hardware firewall that hates some things (no matter what I can't get most voice chat programs to go through it) and it can't be turned off (some of the older B only MS basestations had the option of turning the firewall off).

7. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

If cheap is the way you are going I suggest lynksis. Otherwise I have installed dozens and never had a trouble with Apples Airport base stations. Exellent securtity and the easiest GUI I have ever used to set up all the security settings you could ever need.

A break down of the speeds
    A - not sure on speed but it is a very expensive system compared to the other varities.
    B - 11 mps
    G - 54 mps
    N - 115 mps - I think only a Apples airport is currently using it(just checked best buy.com and did not see anything else but is just a matter of time.).

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    You said you updated to 1.5 -I assume you are talking about the PS3 OS.
    Have you checked the BIOS date of your router?
    It has been said before, but that is what you should check first.