Customs: Need to know - Disassembling Leader ROTF Prime

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by TCJJ, Jul 8, 2009.

1. TCJJ

TCJJ 100% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to disassemble ROTF Leader Optimus Prime's leg properly, because I have been trying to get it apart so it's easier to paint, but I can't get it completely apart. I believe it's the blue side panel with the spring that I need to get off to unscrew a final screw, but I'm not completely sure. Any help would be great.

2. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    As everybody else has said here, just mask those parts off. The blue side panels need too much effort to disassemble to get to paint the parts underneath that no one will really be able to see (once you re-assemble the leg). :) 

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    best luck I've had taking him apart was removing the 2 long screws from inside the tool boxes on his back/hip areas. this allow you to get him in 2 main parts (legs/torso)

The legs can technically be taken apart, but for the sake of time, you're better off taping off the blue parts.

4. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

yep i just took a smaller brush to get under the blue panels

5. TCJJ

TCJJ 100% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ok, thanks everyone, that's helpful, although I have to say, the ball-joint on his right leg came out and I can't get it back in properly, so I thought taking the leg apart would help. Maybe someone can tell me how to get it back in there? I think I've got it in the grooves but it won't let the leg snap back together.

Also, does anyone know how to take the upper body apart? I want to be able to swap the LEDs out with new ones so I can have blue lights instead of red and green. This may also allow me to better paint his 'stomach' area where the speaker is, because I could get the speaker out of the way of the paint first.

Thanks so far to everyone and thanks in advance for any more help.

6. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    ^^ I think the LED in the head can easily be changed by removing the screw behind his head. I haven't heard of anyone disassembling the whole upper torso though. And you can just paint it just leaving the speaker in their. AFAIK it should survive the paintjob. Haven't put the batteries back on mine, but maybe those who've completed their Primes (FR, Encline, Sabby, etc.) can answer this.

7. TCJJ

TCJJ 100% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I unscrewed the head but only the top of the LED is visible, like on the chest. It'd be helpful to get them replaced, though. Also, I got some liquid tape, so that should be helpful for masking off areas.