Customs: Need to fix classics jetfire's helmet laser

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by KnightHawkke, Dec 12, 2010.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

what would the best glue to use be?
    one that won't melt the plastic or anything like that?

Sorry if I put this in the wrong spot, if so move away.

2. stratonrye

stratonrye Maximal

I've had luck with Zap-a-Gap brand superglue. It seems to hold better than regular super glue to me. If you are going to play with/move the gun around a lot though you might be better off drilling a small hole in each end and joining them with a screw with the head cut off and gluing them. Frenzy_Rumble made a tutorial for attaching ball joints that explained that screw thing too in the tutorial section. I'd add a link to it but for some reason I'm not finding it so look there.

3. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Can you show us a pic of the break?

4. KnightHawkke

I sure can! and should have thought of that to start with [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you'll be fine with some super glue, or another good adhesive. Just make sure you only get the adhesive on the parts you're trying to fix, though! It would be very easy to get glue on another portion of that helmet that would prohibit the lasers/antennae from being able to move!

6. Satomiblood

Superglue should be fine since it's not really a part that you absolutely have to move on a regular basis. However, if I was in your shoes, I would drill a very fine hole on where both of the pieces meet, thread in some thin wire or a paper clip just to reinforce the whole part.

7. KnightHawkke

indeed, not sure if I have anything at my disposal to drill something that small lol
    but I will check around.

yeah, I learned testers model glue does not work on transformers plastic[​IMG]

thanks for the advice guys! hopefully I will get it fixed sometime this weekend!

8. Satomiblood

As ridiculous as this may sound, it's probably a good idea to keep a rotary tool, hobby knife, superglue, and a precision screwdriver set handy even if you're not a customizer. As with a lot of hobbies, things happen and your figures may be in need of maintenance and repair. Worthwhile investments IMO.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I totally agree. On the other side of that same coin, I think doing so may be a good way for someone to end up venturing into making customs. It worked for me, at least. :) 

10. KnightHawkke

I do eventually want to make a scratch built very large Cyberjet Jetfire from this F-14 model I got for christmas a few years ago, and purchase an appropriate F-22 to blend in for the air intakes, tail fins and feel thrusters.

11. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

I bet there's lots of Jetfires with broken helmets out there!

Here's mine below. I plan to fix him with some brass tubing. I think it's 3/32" or 2mm inner diameter. My question is what type of glue do I use: thick CA, Gorilla super-glue, epoxy etc? I suppose a little flex might be good so it doesn't just snap off again. There's a little space inside the brass collar so the glue needs to fill that for a good bond. Bonding time not a problem at all. Preferable the glue must be easily available in the UK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kaszal

kaszal Well-Known Member

In case it's any help I managed to fix mine like so: I used the brass tube, some Unibond epoxy and finished off with some Tamiya acrylic Flat Black.

The main thread is over here... Fixing Classic Jetfire's helmet

[​IMG]