Need to find the most challenging transformers + clueless after seeing a this thread:

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by pactron, Jan 1, 2011.

1. pactron

pactron Well-Known Member

I bought the ramjet figure for 11 bucks (best for my humble budget) on sale at WM (was $19-22) and it seems to be about 6 inches tall, maybe a little taller. I'm looking for that size (not much smaller but I'm open minded to bigger) and price range for new figures, if possible, used or new but new would be best since missing parts could be an issue. If anyone has some suggestions for the best purchasing sites and best figures for challenging transformations (equal to ramjet and beyond, would be best) I'd appreciate the help.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...864-upcoming-current-transfomer-releases.html

That list is huge and that's only current stuff! I don't know where to start when it comes to finding the most advanced/challenging (not because of defects) transformations. I'm 37 and recently started shopping for toys for my kids. I bought the ramjet figure last week and after transforming it I was immediately hooked on the transforming aspect of the toy. I'm not interested in model cars, which seem to be time consuming without being complex at all or anything else besides transformers, as far as I know. Thanks for any help.

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader Movie Optimus Prime. It's the hardest I can think of that is in stores right now.

3. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes other than leader Prime, the rest of the TF movie toys also fits the bill under challenging transformations.

Also they can be found quite cheap as most are on clearance nowadays at the toy aisle. :) 

4. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welcome to TFW!

If you want to go in at the deep end, look at the Masterpiece line of figures. Mastepiece Megatron is one that alot of people find very challenging. This stop motion film captures the transaction complexity: YouTube - Transformers Masterpiece: MP-5 Destron Leader Megatron

Check out the figure reviews by board member Peaugh: YouTube - peaugh's Channel for some well rounded opinions on a wide range of transfomers.

If you like medium sized toys, Movie Human Alliance figures and Voyager class are alot of fun - I personally love Voyager Mixmaster.

If you like smaller scale cars and want complex transformations, take a look at the Alternators line (1/24 scale) and the Japanese only Alternity figures (1:32 scale): YouTube - Transformers Alternity A-01 Convoy (Vibrant Red)

Also, alot of Deluxe sized figures have great transformations that are not overly complex and represent the old style g1 characters very well.

5. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Most challenging Transformers:

Masterpiece
    Megatron
    Optimus Prime
    Starscream
    Grimlock

Alternators
    Grimlock
    Wheeljack
    Silverstreak
    Smokescreen
    Rodimus
    Optimus Prime
    Jazz
    Shockblast
    Deadend
    Sunstreaker

Movie
    Revenge of the Fallen
    Leader Optimus Prime / Takara Leader Buster Optimus Prime
    Starscream
    Teradive
    Sidearm Sideswipe
    Breacher
    Knockout

Movie, Revenge of the Fallen, Human Alliance
    Bumblebee
    Jazz
    Baricaide
    Skids
    Mudflap
    Sideswipe

Robots in Disguise
    Optimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus
    Megatron
    Galvatron

Armada
    Unicron

Cybertron
    Primus
    Soundwave
    Evac

Generations
    Cybertron Optimus Prime (from War for Cybertron video game)

6. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

ROTF leader class Jetfire

7. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

ROTF prime.

8. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Try a blazemaster mold, the trick is figuring out the backpack's locking placement.

9. pactron

thanks, tazirr, amethysted and others for the very helpful info. so i'm thinking ramjet is a voyager class figure. i'm not sure what other classses (from other movies) are the same size as voyager/the ramjet figure, but that's something I should look into since I like that size best unless the size smaller class is still as challenging and durable as the 6 inch/voyager. I'll try to save up for a couple leader class/masterpiece figures at some point but i wish cheaper versions without lights and sound were available. or wait, is leader and masterpiece the same? confusing stuff! at walmart, bonecrusher and other figures were somewhat smaller than ramjet and appeared to be made out of a softer plastic. they usually came paired in a box for 30 bucks. the human aliance vehicle (car) figures appeared to be the same as bonecrusher in size and quality but were 30 bucks a piece. i'm guessing not many voyager/ramjet size figures are available to buy.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you like the voyager scale, you might want to look at Banzaitron, Highbrow, and Battle Blades Optimus Prime, which are available now (packaged in robot mode, in yellow boxes). They aren't really complex or challenging, but they have really intuitive, involved transformations. They are more complex than Ramjet, who is a repaint of the 2007 Movie Voyager Starscream figure.

There's good stuff in the deluxe range too. deluxe movie Ironhide is one of my favorite figures at that scale ever.

11. pactron

12. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    Those are non-transforming robots. Basically dispaly figures that you can move only the arms or head.

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

If you're going bigger...definitely Leader Prime.Awesome figure,and great transformation.Otherwise if you want to stick with Voyagers,I would go with Battle Blades Prime.

14. pactron

thanks, valk, that first paragraph was a big help. i looked at the toys r us site. the ironhide deluxe (i assume that was the class, though it didn't list "deluxe" but it was the cheaper of the two) had a conversion difficulty rating of 2 and the voyager ironhide had a 3. so i guess i should pay the extra 7 bucks and get the voyager?

15. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

Just transformed Leader Class HFTD Optimus Prime.

Had it not been for Youtube reviews I'd have never transformed it.

Why make a toy that complicated and have such crappy instructions?

16. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Energon Slugslinger.

Love him, but want to throw that fucker against the wall everytime I Transform him. A real love/hate thing....:thumbs2: 

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Depends on the voyager ironhide. Is it the recon one? He's cool, and he's got a ton of extra weapons.

Some other stores to check out are bbts.com, and tfsource.com

Both have more Transformers for sale that toys r us does, from all series. If you can't find it in a store anymore, or want to pre-order upcoming toys look at these places.

18. pactron

so what does the HFTD stand for?

19. pactron

i've gotten a lot of helpful advice on here so far, so thanks. i'm wondering if this would be worth the extra money since it's a conversion rate 5: Transformer Leader Class - Optimus Prime - Hasbro - Toys "R" Us
    and the voyager is a 3? Transformers 2 Revenge of the Fallen Voyager Class Action Figure - Defender Optimus Prime - Hasbro - Toys "R" Us . someone mentioned battle blades optimus voyager: Amazon.com: Transformers Voyager - Battle Blades Optimus Prime: Toys & Games which has a rating of 4, so i think i would want to go w/ it over the other voyager in the 2nd link. any chance the leader class optimus will go on sale somewhere soon? :) 

20. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gravity Bots.