Need to Fill Some Vacancies in My Generations Display

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cavadus, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Cavadus

Cavadus Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So this is probably going to overlap with some 3rd party talk and I hope that's not a problem but if the thread needs to be moved that's fine.

I'm having some trouble filling some holes in my post-movie CHUG display. Specifically, Starscream, Soundwave, and Shockwave.

I was thinking on FoC Starscream being a decent fit since, after getting a new body from Unicron, it would make sense for him to revert back to Cybertronian form. I think it would fit well with the mostly IDW inspired Generations lines and sub-lines. What do you guys think?

And I just need some help with Shockwave and Soundwave. The leader class Soundwave is way too big IMO. I saw that Second Chance has a nice FoC Shockwave being upscaled to Voyager class size which would probably be great fit but when it comes to Soundwave I'm totally lost. I don't particularly like the FoC look and it wouldn't make much sense in my display, IMO. So far the only one I've seen which comes kinda close is KFC's Mugan Vox but the reviews of it don't seem particularly good.

I had seen someone do a custom of the Reveal the Shield Perceptor and turned it into a gorgeous Soundwave which is pretty much exactly what I want.

So what are my options for these three around the deluxe/voyager scales?

2. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    well there is the classics mold for starscream it is a good fit, plus there are the other seekers completed in that.
    voyager class soundwave also been done as blaster works wounders as well, though saying that many people dont like the fact he doesnt turn into a tape player, the data discs are alright and almost all the main cassets have been done in this size and what more there smaller then the legends toys just like the cartoon.
    FOC shockwave deluxe mold is great i would just get that at the moment or look at transformers prime shockwave or go futher back and get your self energon shockwave these are good options the unicron trilogey has alot of classic styled characters in reasobly even awsome molds and if you never plan to collect those lines they make great fillers.

there is also deluxe soundwave from wfc but blaster towers over him thought the foc molds may get some slack they are better then whats coming out now so....

3. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Get WFC Soundwave and FOC Shockwave. Both are deluxes. WFC Soundwave looks better anyway than the newer FOC Soundwave.

4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Shockwave options:
    Energon Shockblast
    Cloud Shockwave
    TFPrime Beast Hunters Shockwave

Soundwave options:
    Music Label Soundwave
    FoC Soundwave
    Titanium G1 Soundwave (only do this if you're REALLY desperate)

Starscream options:
    Henkei clear Starscream (kind of expensive)
    Energon Starscream (he's damaged, with clear parts)
    Unite Warriors Revenge Starscream (would need to find someone willing to break up a Grand Galvatron)

5. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

I for the life of me do not understand this recent rash of sentiments that Leader class is "too big." I'm not even going to comment on your soundwave problem.

But for shockwave, the foc deluxe is good if you're looking for a deluxe. If you prefer a voyager, Beast hunters Shockwave is also really good and plausibly fits into a chug dispaly.

6. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Starscream is easy:
    [​IMG]

Quite literally the best Starscream figure outside splurging for the MP figure.

Soundwave: Sizewise I don't have a problem with the new Leader class Soundwave. Despite the fact that he's a tape player, he IS a big bot. He towers over a number of his fellow Decepticons in the G1 cartoon. My problem with TR Soundwave is that he turns into a boom box/city. He is supposed to be very similar to Blaster, but there's supposed to be a distinction. (Let's not get into the whole SoundBlaster/Twincast thing.)

Shockwave: This is the toughest because of the whole gun thing. The 2012 Generations toy is pretty good but a bit too small. Still waiting for a really good non-MP Shockwave.

Personally I may end up just going with MPs of Soundwave and Shockwave. I'm also waiting for a good gun Megatron, but the TR Megatron is starting to grow on me despite not being a gun.

7. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    When you think about the traits those three possess...what traits are the most important...???...

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    Actually, since we're talking about post movie, Soundblaster IS an option. You have Music Label, Fall of Cybertron, Masterpiece and Animated for those options.

9. Cavadus

Ebay:
    I'm trying to stick around Voyager scale unless deluxe and leader make sense (i.e. Ultra Magnus as a leader makes sense, Soundwave does not; CW Hound as a deluxe makes sense, Generations Warpath does not; et cetera).

10. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Around Voyager...hmmm...Energon Shockblast for Shockwave would seem to win out over Cloud Shockwave & Prime Shockwave...I'm looking out for that 3rd Party FOC Shockwave...as other than size I had no problems Hasbro/Takara FOC Shockwave ...if you want deployer interaction for Soundwave at Voyager I'd go with FOC Soundwave...if you're not big on deployers there is the Music Label Soundwave...Starscream is good at Deluxe for most...not sure a Voyager option...but...I still love my Classic Seekers...some use that Generations Armada-scream...others the FOC Starscream...all good options...

11. atomD21

atomD21 Well-Known Member

Classics Starscream is a great, if not super poseable figure. FoC Starscream suffers from the cheaper plastic they used, but looks great for a Cybertronian figure. Personally, for what you're doing, the Leader Class Soundwave probably would be too big, awesome though he is. Even though you said you don't particularly care for it, I'd go with the FoC Voyager if it were me, as he has the datadisc minibots compatibility (even though most of those were crap, it's still fun). For Shockwave, the Beast Hunters Voyager is great, but doesn't totally fit the CHUG aesthetic, so that's up to you. The FoC one looks pretty cool, but is a deluxe. Or just sell it all and take out a huge loan to go MP/3rd Party!

12. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Wow how many Starscream color schemes were there for that mold, this is the first I've seen that one... There must be 4 or 5?

13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    well there was at least 2 main line starscreams then theres his friends and then the takara ones and then the botcons and clubs somewhere up in the 20 mark i beleave and then add in the KO versons that trows it up alot lol.

By the way im not to surpised you havent seen that one most people stuck with the white one that came out after it, plus your join date that toy had not been around in a while lol

14. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Try it out, try it out man

I am currently using IDW Armada Starscream, and the FOC Skywarp and Thundercracker as my seekers. I'm still waiting on a proper voyager CHUG Starscream, I don't know why that's such a hard thing to make for Hasbro. I am incredibly surprised one of the 3p groups haven't done that yet.

15. GoldbugTM2

GoldbugTM2 Right Hand Of Primus

Indeed I noticed the colours in the image were different than the one I have. I don't do repaints so I won't bother searching out the other colour schemes. Regardless, still the best non-MP G1 Starscream figure. On the subject, I've always been against the other Decepticon plane bots because they're just repaints of Starscream. Granted, they were products of the Diaclones that came before, but I still don't do repaints.

16. Cavadus

Ebay:
    I found a Mugan Amputare on ebay for thirty bucks plus free shipping. I really hope he's cool in robot mode. I know the vehicle mode is supposed to suck but as long as he can handle some cool poses I should be happy.

GR1ML0CK was kind enough to offer me some of WFC figures but I think for Soundwave I want the bigger FOC version. Still can't make up my mind about Starscream. I might be able to snag a Classics for ten bucks but I can't say that I'm particularly in love with the design. I also made an offer on a (regular) Energon Starscream which I quite like.

What's the difference between the 2003 Armada and the Thrilling 30 Armada Starscream? Is the older one a voyager and the newer a deluxe or are they both deluxes?

I'm kinda surprised that the Generations line is so hard up for a voyager Starscream and Soundwave.

17. cobrala76

cobrala76 Well-Known Member

For starscream at voyager size you have cyber battalion if you can find one at decent price, which is the legends figure upsized to voyager but has no knee articulation, although I've seen some customizers adding it. 3P igear raptor squadron is also an option.

Voyager Shockwave you have prime shockwave or energon shockblast. A lot of good customs have been made using shockblast as the base.

Soundwave you really only have music label (which is really a bigger deluxe) or FOC. G1 is actually about voyager size I think and there's a slightly upsized one you can get cheap off ebay. I'm hoping one of the good ko companies makes a downsized MP or leader class.

18. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My suggestions would be

Shockwave:
    Foc official deluxe
    Second chance voyager (not an upscale, it's a new mold)

Soundwave:
    Wfc deluxe
    Foc voyager (for cassets)

Starscream:
    Foc deluxe
    Planet X mors (voyager)

I know you said you weren't into the video game design soundwave, but I suggested all of these because they all appeared in these bodies in the idw comics. Mostly depends on if you want deluxe or voyager

19. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    for starscream i use classics...energon in G1 colors if you want some flavor

for shockwave i use the tfprime beast hunters shockwave...he's awesome and looks good with voyager henkei megatron (and hopefully the upcoming TR one)

soundwave is the hardest one for me....FOC for voyager or WFC for deluxe works okay is you like the look with earth mode tfs...music label is the best classic representation to find you want as G1 as possible. i find it to be thinner in the limbs than i'd like. personally i kinda like using the tfprime soundwave on my chug shelf. i like the mold and i haven't found a soundwave for the right size i like to place there.

leader class works for jetfire and magnus and the upcoming sixshot and overlord....for other characters the class is too large to scale the bot modes properly in my opinion. voyager as well. i think generations brainstorm is way too big for the character....though he's a decent mp stand in. as much as i enjoy the tr soundwave he doesn't go on my chug shelf because he's way to big to properly represent the character while keeping him in line with magnus who should tower over him not stand just as tall.

20. Wheeljackie

Wheeljackie NYEH HEH HEH

I my be weird but I really like using Prime Soundwave.