Need suggestions on home theater system, plz?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Scythe, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Hi guys! What's shakin? Cool! So, I may be buyin' one of these neat 82'' inch teevees like this one:

Amazon.com: Mitsubishi WD-82737 82-Inch 1080p 120Hz Home Theater DLP HDTV: Electronics

But then I realized, that I'm a moron when it comes to technology. So I ask you, my net-bros and sistas, what do I need to have a nice little set-up? I use my PS3 and my Wii religiously, and I'm probably getting my HDMI cables off of Amazon.com. I hardly know anything about these tvs, what do I need aside from the actual tv?

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Do you really need it that big?

This guy is big and heavy.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    120HZ is old hat now.

I would make sure the TV you buy is futureproof, ie, will it be able to support 3D in a years time or so?

Personally I would wait 6 months or so and start looking at how far along 3D sets are then.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am finding it hard to buy a Home Theater setup for my needs as well.
    i am happy with my current 32" tv, so i am left with getting the AV receiver and speakers.
    the problem is having inputs for my 360, my PC and DVD/VCR combo.
    (i still use my VCR for some old/out of print vids.)

my real advice is list what you got and how it hooks up to a home theater.
    once you simplify the connection process, start looking at where you're putting it, and just how badass you want it to be.

1.) List and simply items and connections.
    2.) Room size and home theater power. there is an actual distance-screen size ratio for picking a right sized TV. like for a 52", you should be sitting 6+ feet away, etc.
    3.) Price? Budget?
    i am limited by budget so i am eyeballing my AV setup at $450 and less.
    4.) Features- my choices get sliced almost in half by this simply becaise some brands offer proprietary features that are worthless or pointless. (like not offering adjustable EQ settings, or wiren connectors that aren't easy to replace if somethng happens.)

last thing. if you are serious about getting an 82" tv, think about getting a projector.
    i have seen models at local colleges here that i would unplug and take home for myself.
    if I had a wall big enough, lol.

i hope some of this helped.

5. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    Well, the room I'm getting the tv for is over 1700sq feet, so yeah, it needs to be that big, and I can afford it easily. I went with this one:

Amazon.com: Mitsubishi WD-82837 82-Inch 1080p 120Hz Home Theater DLP HDTV: Electronics

That one allows 3D service in the future, as I had that in mind. Thanks for the input though, guys, I appreciate it greatly.

1. I'm only connecting my satellite reciever, PS3, Wii and blu-ray player to it, some HDMI cables are what I need to get at the moment, but Amazon is my friend there. The speakers and such will be my next purchase, gonna look around at what I like.
    2. Yeah, I know of that, from where people will be watching the screen is a good 20 feet, I think 82'' should be more than alright.
    3. Well, my budget was $4,200 and I purchased the tv in the above link at an electronics store for $2,000 and they even gave me a free Blu-Ray/DVD player.
    4. I'm happy with the neat "little" tv I got, the features are pretty neat and the extended 2 year warranty was on the house.

Lastly, I am still getting a projector, but that'll be for a room I am building just for that purpose.

Your post was overall pretty helpful, man. Thank you so much for replying.