Need someone/people with Playstation knowlege.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Inikalord, May 10, 2012.

1. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    So recently, I have the chance to buy a used PS2 with all essential cords plus a controller for $10.

However, the auction states the following...

Does anyone know where to possibly buy such a thing? Can't order online so don't try suggesting that and the closest game stores to me are EB Games and JB Hifi, so would they have those?

I'll admit, I'm only really interested in the controller (To use with my PS3 since I misplaced my PS3 wireless controller. I'll be using an adaptor to use the PS2 controller) and the console is only really an afterthought but it still would be kinda cool to get it for so cheap.

2. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I've been into playstation since PS1 and I've NEVER heard of a format disc. If it is a PS2 it SHOULD play ps2 games and quit possible PS1 games but not totally sure on that 1. I know the OLDER PS2 consoles that are the fat 1's do play ps1 games but the smaller skinny consoles don't play ps1 games.

3. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

The skinny PS2s do play most PS1 games. Apparantly the slim PS2 won't play some PS2 games. List of PlayStation games incompatible with PlayStation 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

After some searching it seems the PS2 will put up a message asking for a PS2 Format Disc when a disc is put in that the PS2 can't read.
    What Is a PS2 Format Disk? | eHow.com
    Pop in a dreamcast disc and it should say that.

Chuck

4. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never heard of this either, Oh BTW I'm selling my old PS2 games cheap if you are looking for games.

5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So, this is a case of ambiguous syntax. It's not looking for a "format disc." It's complaining that the disc is not in PS2 format. That could mean a faulty (or maybe dirty) optical drive, or a botched attempt at installing a mod chip. I'd hold out for a better one, personally. PS2s are too cheap and common nowadays to fuss with a broken one.

6. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

do you have a thread or list that i could look at?

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is a old thread so do not bump it. PS2 Games

Sorry some of the images are missing and some of the stuff is sold. I've got a yard sale coming up soon so if your interested I suggest you act before then.

8. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I own both a slim and fat ps2 never ever heard of a format disc and never had a problem with either machine playing any of my games.

If the format disc message is popping up for every game then you've just bought a broken product.

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It sounds like the laser unit on the ps2 is on it's way out. If it were a lens issue or drive issue chances are it wouldn't be able to actually read the ps1 games either, but since it can then something else seems to be the likely cause.

My suggestion for diagnosing what the issue is would be this:

1 - Clean the lens. This probably won't fix anything if it's not just a dirty lens, but it should keep you from ruling anything out that you shouldn't.

2 - Try a ps2 dvd based game (silver discs iirc). Cleaning the lens might have fixed your issue, or it could just be the po's games.

3 - try a ps1 game just to make sure that it actually works at all. If they don't work, since you know the lens is clean, it could be something more significant like the drive motor or the laser unit as a whole.

4 - Try a cd-based ps2 game (blue discs iirc). If it is your laser unit, this should tell you something. From a quick search on the subject and from what I understand of the technology, the dvd/cd drive uses a single lens/laser, but uses different voltages for each format. If one of the potentiometers controlling the voltage for the dvd is shot, then you will still be able to read cd's, but not dvd's. As such, you may be able to play cd-based ps2 games and just not dvd-based games.

5 - Try a dvd movie. Depending on the results of (4) this should give you a more definitive answer. If it's the potentiometer on the laser unit for dvd's then you probably won't be able to play a dvd film either, despite potentially being able to play a cd-based ps2 game.

If it turns out that you can only play cd-based media and not dvd media of any sort, then it is very likely that it is in fact the potentiometer and not something else. This can be fixed by adjusting the voltages on the laser (though this potentially will shorten the life of the laser unit) or by just replacing the laser unit. However, since you said you are getting this unit for cheap, it might be worth it to play with the settings if you have time. Worst case scenario is you screw up the unit and you paid ten bucks for a ps2 controller.

10. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I got some advice for you... DON'T buy it.

A PS2 that needs a FORMAT disc to play PS2 games? What the hell did they do to it?

11. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Agreed. It sounds pretty shady to me. I'd stay away from that listing. You'd be better off checking out your local pawn shops. You can probably find a cheap one there, and more than likely they might have some kind of return policy should it not work.

12. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    +1 to not buying it. It's worthy paying a little more to get something that will certainly work.

13. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And chances are you can walk into a gaming store and pick up a refurbished one for at least $60.

14. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Exactly what I was thinking too.

15. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    A Format disc? Are you reading what you are typing here?

:crazy: 

A PS2 game is in "PS2 Format" ... If the console in question reads PS1 games (aka CDs) but not PS2 games (DVDs) then it means that the laser needs to be calibrated or replaced. That's it.

Its quite possible that said console would work with PS2 CD games (the older ones) without a problem. That is how PS2 systems end up dying, they stop reading one type of media or the other. One of my PS2s has this problem but backwards. It only works with Video DVDs and PS2 DVD games, but PS1, Music CDs or PS2 CD games cannot be read.

The PS2 reads for different disc types. Each disc has a different header so the player knows what kind of media it is. If you put a disc in that is not one supported by the PS2 (or the laser is busted) you will see either the "PS2 Format Disc" or the "Disc Read Error." Its because the PS2 knows it is a disc, but can't figure out what kind it is.

16. DeathAnghell

DeathAnghell Beast Wars!

I've got a few PS2 's (Fat and both slims) and none of them ever needed a format disk to play PS2 games.

17. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    Well, the fixed price offer ended anyway and I didn't bother to buy it.

Thanks anyway guys.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Now you gone and made ME curious.

I was thinking it might have been an old Dev kit or something, they looked like old PS2s but IIRC they didn't play PS2 games without some sort of format disc beforehand. Having said that the last time I saw a PS2 Dev kit was what? 2003? Spotty memory...

Having said that I believe a friend of mine has a PS2 dev kit himself... I'll just ask him.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There's no "format disc." Like others have said, the laser or potentiometer is on its way out.

FWIW, if you want to avoid this happening to your own PS2s, I recommend installing a hard drive and running your games from that whenever possible. I'm guessing it's not okay for me to post links to instructions though.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I asked my friend, his PS2 Dev kit plays PS2/PS1 games right out of the bag, except for Parappa the Rapper (and presumably Unjammer Lammy too) so what I thought was wrong. :(