Need some vehicular legal advice...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeta Otaku, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So, yesterday I ran down some school kids and...

kidding, kidding (nothing can be proven!!!)

Anyway, a friend and I plan to make a replica/homage to a certain movie car that had light bars. We know blue is a no-no for civilian use, but what are the restrictions on amber/yellow lights? I searched online (most likely poorly) and while I found out what each color represented, couldn't find what restrictions they had (except for the obvious).

Also, this would be for the New Jersey/New York area.

Figured I'd ask this here since I know we have legitimate officers in our community (how about some PBA cards guys?? joking, of course...)

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Make sure you take pics when you're stopped for cruising in Ecto1 :lol 

3. Malikon

Malikon Well-Known Member

well as someone who was all set on building a replica of KITT I can tell you what I discovered.

Flashing lights are for emergency city vehicles, NO OTHER CARS can have them. Sorry, but it's true. Turns out the Knight Rider red bar light in the hood is illegal.

So was the fiberglass bumper.

So was the "Not a perfect circle" steering wheel.

As were the gas/brake pedals.

Etc.

Sure you can build it, you just can't drive it around town. Sorry.

4. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

umm, tow trucks have flashing lights first off..

5. Malikon

*cough* That's because they're emergency vehicles *cough*

hey it's just what I was told by a number of cops. I was all set to build KITT when a family member pointed out that most of the car would end up being illegal on the street. Don't shoot the messenger. The car would've ended up being confiscated the first time I got pulled over. Cops, Firetrucks, Ambulances, Towtrucks, those are allowed flashing lights. It's not even about the colors, it's the flashing lights.

Personally I was upset because I didn't even consider KITT's lightbar to 'be' a flashing light, but I guess technically that's what it qualifies as.

You can't just build an ambulance and start driving it around. There are laws against it.

6. michael_knight

michael_knight Well-Known Member

Malikon, what state do you live in? I'm not so sure about most of that...

Anyway, in jersey amber lights are illegal unless you're using the vehicle for snow plowing or security (or something to that effect). I know in many other states amber lights are fine, though. But just because the lights are there, doesn't mean they have to be on. Take the light off for inspection, then just keep it off while driving. Save it for parking lots, shows, etc.

7. decepticonjon

second, they're not run by the city, and they are not emergency vehicles.

8. Malikon

ok, whatever I really don't care to argue the point. It doesn't effect me one way or the other.

The OP should go down to his local police dept and find out what the 'actual' laws are in his state instead of looking for advice on the internet that could possibly get his vehicle taken away from him. That's really the best advice.

9. decepticonjon

you mean you don't want to admit you don't know what you're talking about?

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Snowplows, Garbage Trucks, Tow Trucks, Constuction Vehicles, Some Postal Vehicles have yellow flashing lights as to say caution or be careful. Do I Win?

11. Malikon

yeah, that must be it. :rolleyes:  and I try so hard to be polite too. This is what I get for answering the OP's question with what the police have personally told me.

good day, obviously no reason for me to come back in here.

12. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Do you honestly think all of those vehicle owners just randomly slapped emergency lights on those trucks and that was the end of it? You have to get registered and have a permit for that in most states. If you tried to put a Yellow light on your Honda civic, you would be breaking the law, and in some states committing a felony.

Basically to have a yellow light your vehicle has to be registered as a HAZARD vehicle which means that you stop in traffic and people need to see you from a distance of 500 ft. IE: Snowplows, Garbage Trucks, Tow Trucks, Construction Vehicles, Some Postal Vehicles...

13. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    I dont think thats the case over here. I often see privately owned vehicles on construction sites using them. Different countries, different laws. OP needs to go to local cop shop and ask them.

14. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Umm...what point are you arguing? Cause i never mentioned anthing about not needing registration. And are you sure you need to be registered to have flashing yellow lights? What are the restrictions exactly for being required to run yellow lights. And are the laws different for every state, since every state has their own department of transportation. Please since you feel the need to be captain corrections, can you explain the exact laws word for word in each state for me?

15. nkelsch

I can tell you I seriously doubt there is a single state where it is legal to run yellow lights for 'decoration'.

People want to do something they know they shouldn't be doing, post a thread on the INTARNEZ and don't want to hear it when people tell them it is a not good idea and might not be possible.

You act as if every state is so unique in traffic laws that there is no way anyone is allowed to give generalized advice about the subject when we all know that most of the states have every similar laws on this particular issue.

I bet he has a permit that allows him to take the lights with him, and if he was using the lights inappropriately he would still be cited. In many areas, officials may put portable flashing lights in any vehicle as long as they are cleared to use it and have the permit.

You can't just slap a random light on your car and drive around willy nilly. I would be surprised to find a single jurisdiction where that is legal.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Most of you are right on this: it's a local issue. Find a donut shop in your hood and you'll find someone who can help.

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    So....are you going to answer my question?

18. nkelsch

Did you ask one or are you simply trolling the thread?

19. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I guess you just left a bad taste in my mouth. Basically taking something harmless i was saying and trying to make yourself feel smarter buy saying i was wrong. Even though i never said you don't need registration, you basically said i was wrong even though i never said anything about it. So yes i guess I am being a bit of a troll.

I am sorry for being a bit abrasive...i overreacted. My apologies.

20. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Check your laws