need some TV help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zeta Otaku, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ok, I've been given a list of criteria to follow and I SERIOUS have no idea where to start. Here's what I need...

I need an HDTV that's either plasma or LCD which total size is UNDER 29 inches wide, so preferably the speakers would be on the bottom of the unit. Also, the person I'm doing this for would like it to be 1080i or p, though I'm sure 780 or whatever the next resolution is would be fine.

Now, as a bonus, they would like to have either a VGA or DVI input.

Also, on an unrelated note: with HDTVs, do they still measure screen size diagnally from corner to corner?

2. honestgabe

honestgabe I

3. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Looks to be still diagonally challenged as well lol.

I need a budget to work with here pal. Without a figure im lost in the weeds.

I have heard that plasma is wearing thin....and LCD's are gonna be the tech to get. However, I DO own a plasma, and the quality of TV is excellent. However, in these new 1080I formats and HD vs. Bluray...The real winner is gonna be LCD hands down in the upcoming months. Feb 2009 is new HDTV convert deadline according to FCC and Gov, but thatll probly be extended....I hope not.

Im not seeing any 29s at all....i seen a "top rated" Olivia 27" for 479 at Newegg with good reviews....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889022027 No that not gonna work, the Body is 33" wide.....

Maybe this is your style
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889112011

Nah man, i see em jump from 27" to 32"

4. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    ah right... budget... that always helps... really anything under $3000 would be great.

5. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    If you're going for an HDTV that size, it will be an LCD. They don't make Plasma's that small. Screen size is still measured diagonally. Any 720p TV made these days will do 1080i as well. At the size you need, you won't be able to go much larger than a 32 inch TV.

I personally recommend Samsung. They almost always have stellar reviews.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sams...73636/catOid/-12869/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

That one has a good user rating, and has a VGA input.

6. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

I dunno man, why you need set that small.....

I hate those small size TV's.

You can get a nice LCD 22" computer monitor for fricken 200 bucks these days.

7. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I just bought a 24 inch LCD widescreen HD monitor for $350. The picture is pretty fantastic, but I only use it for my PC. I have a much larger HD set for movies and such.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

9. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

One thing, with that size tv there is no point in getting a 1080p tv. They won't make a plasma that small either I believe.

Good LCD tv brands: Sony, Samsung, LG.

Stay away from the Sharp Aquos line right now, I believe they have this weird problem with the line where it kinda fusses the image in one spot.

10. Prowl2000

Prowl2000 Keep it sealed TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have a 56in samsung dlp and love it, though, not what you're asking.

My advice is go to Best Buy and look at some of the different TVs. True be told, you should have a large selection for your options.

It sounds like you need to connect it to a computer. If that's the case then go with the LCD. If you are looking for a TV, take a look at the tube sets. I'm not sure if they make them in that size range but the picture quality is still above everything else.