Customs: Need Some Kitbashing Help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sound Blaster, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Hey I recently bought a real PT Cruiser and I had a red toy that was mostly metal and is in scale with the movie figures:

[​IMG]

I know I need a body to put the frame on but since I looked and found that model kits WOULD be easier to convert them to still be able to transform.

Has anyone done this with a mostly die-cast car and still been able to transform it?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I'm sure somebody has, but it sure would be a bitch to cut it up and get parts to "stick" to the metal.

You'd probably also have very little room for error - once you cut that metal, it's cut. Plastic would be a lot easier to work with and would be a lot more forgiving.

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Insane_Galvitron was working on a BttF Delorean custom at one time; you might want to hit him up for some advice :wink: 

4. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    I'm currently working on a transforming concept Lexus. Metal is a serious pain to cut through, especially if you want intricate cuts, so I'd say to keep the transformation simple. As for a body, Bionicle Barraki seem to make for decent parts at this scale, though I wouldn't go about throwing car parts onto a pre-built Barraki frame.

As for attaching the plastic body to the metal frame, I'm using FixitSculpt. The stuff'll bond to whatever it comes in contact with while curing, so it's perfect for joining the two. Also, if you end up making a wrong cut, this stuff ought to be able to fill in the gaps and it smooths wonderfully. One thing to note is that you'll want to strip all of the paint off of the car before attaching it to the body - you don't want the plastic bonding to the paint, only to find that the metal pieces fall off while the paint itself stays bonded.

My figure is still very much so a work-in-progress, but I'm willing to help in any way I can. Also, what kind of transformation do you have in mind for this guy?

5. Sound Blaster

Sound Blaster Shattered Glass World

Simple transformation but more like to fit in with the movie