Need some internet help.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Methos, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I need some help,I'm using Roadrunner Cable-5mb broadband and for the past month or so loading a website takes forever(in some cases longer then with dial-up) Yet I can download files at 100kbs speed.

When viewing a website the pages don't load completly,with some of the background or buttons missing.
    Does anyone know what would cause the lack of website loading?
    it's not a few sites,it's every site I go to.

2. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Sounds like a server-side issue rather than your connection issue.

3. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

You may be dropping a lot of packets, maybe particularly on the sending side. If you want to arm yourself with some good data to call RR with, go to the command prompt and type "ping www.google.com -n 25". This will ping Google 25 times. If you're dropping a lot of packets you'll be able to see roughly what percentage you're dropping.

4. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Ok I tryed that,and it show no packet loss.

Also tryed these places

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
    1.2 megabits per second
    Communications 1.2 megabits per second
    Storage 150.9 kilobytes per second
    1MB file download 6.8 seconds
    Subjective rating

http://promos.mcafee.com/speedometer/test_0150.asp
    File Size: 150.005 KB
    Time Elapsed: 6.204 seconds
    193.44 Kbps
    (24.18 KBps)

Tryed the ping again with google and multiple Request time outs.Packet loss of 50%.

Tryed www.tfw2005.com and had 30% loss.

So does this mean a problem with their servers?

5. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Sounds like a bad hop between you and the websites. You should probably try running a tracert, to see where the problem is.

6. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Another possibility: web browser. What browser are you using? Have you tried different ones, like Firefox? Spyware in MSIE can slow things down.

7. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instead of tracert, use the command "pathping". It will essentially do a tracert but it also pings each hop to test for packet loss.

8. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I use Firefox and Netscape,raely use MSIE.

I've ran Spybot and Norton and nothing was found.
    The caches are empty.

Someone said it could be a error with the modem,would this be true?

9. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it all websites or just a select few?

10. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

11. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

It's random on the websites,some just load slowly,others are loaded jumbled.

12. Severus

It's definitely not your web browser if you're dropping a lot of packets. Pathping is nice, but I don't think it really helps us here since problems out on the internet should resolve themselves shortly. If this is an ongoing issue it's either something with your cables inside your house or something you need to get Roadrunner on the phone to fix.

For the purposes of this I'm going to assume you're wired in directly into a cable modem. If you're wireless or through a router there could be other issues involved.

First, check your cables - make sure that none of them are frayed, horribly kinked, etc. If you have some spare network cable or the black round coax cable that leads from your cable modem to the wall try replacing them and pinging again - see if it makes a measurable difference.

Have you added any longer coax cables or splitters lately? Or do you have tons and tons of slack cable that can be replaced with something shorter? Oftentimes if you're getting a lot of signal attenuation in the house just a little bit less coax can make a huge difference.

Ask your neighbors - if they're not having these problems then it['s probably something on your end.

As for the cable modem, I would kinda doubt that's the source. Usually when they go bad they go bad completely. But if you want to check it, Time Warner will let you replace it for free if you bring your old one into one of their offices. But if your cables don't seem to be the source of your problems, I would call them. In all likelyhood some box or line somewhere was flooded or damaged by construction digging, or whatever.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: As for viruses and spyware, I suppose it's possible. But I'm not aware of any malware that will simulate a large amount of packet loss. Most of the time they just want to hijack your computer for a bot network or slap some spyware on there.

13. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Just spoke to a tech guy for Timewarner,and after telling him the problem,apparently you shouldn't unplug the power source to the modem. The tech guy says that could cause data flow to slow down.

I guess after I'll see about getting it replaced.

Severus: It's not a wireless,and I don't have a router. Though the cable coming from the outside box is about 30feet to reach the comp room.

14. Severus

Keeping it plugged in for at least 48 hours will speed up the connection, supposedly, but unplugging it won't cause you to drop lots of packets like this. See about getting the modem replaced - I think they also give you a network cable with those, so maybe you can replace both at the same time. If it was working before and suddenly is not with the same configuration I doubt it's cable length.

15. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Well it'll be aleast two days before I can probly get it replaced due to the holiday tommorro.

Thanks for the help everyone.