Customs: Need some honest advice: Can my G1 Prime live again?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

Hey guys,

This is the current state of my very first and all-time favorite Transformer, Optimus Prime. I still remember the day I bought him at TG&Y (long since gone...that was almost 25 years ago!)

He's lying in rest because his right leg was snapped off when my mother let my six year old nephews play with him about five years ago:

[​IMG]

Here's how the broken leg looks. As you can see, it's a nasty snap:

[​IMG]

Here's another shot from behind:

[​IMG]

As you can probably see, the other damage is that one of the smokestacks is broken, the paint job has seriously deteriorated, and the fists are missing.

I already know I can replace the fists and get new labels from Repro Labels. I could also manage to do a satisfactory paint job (for me).

What I'm not sure of is this: can my Prime be fixed? Is it worth the time and the money? I have the reissue of Prime from years back, and I have various other Primes. I've kept my eyes on used G1 Primes on Ebay, and could just buy one of those, but they aren't my Prime.

So what do you guys think? Can it be done?

Thanks, Ex

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Here's my opinion:

If it's a labor of love, yes, your Prime can be fixed. You should probably search around (or post a thread looking) for a junker G1 Prime with both legs intact. Trying to disassemble that central waist & pelvic area - where you've got a giant main axle holding his legs, his tires and his crotch together - is a real bear, so honestly, in my opinion, don't try it; you'll be giving yourself a headache. Almost everything else up to the pelvic area can be disassembled, cleaned and painted (if necessary) quite easily.

Long story short on the chrome: Short of sending it to a professional, you will not get the chrome to match the original prime. You could always use some of the silver or chrome-like spraypaint to do the job, but it will not look like the original chrome.

Reprolabels are fantastic and they'll go a looong way towards making your Prime look new again.

Finally, in terms of cleaning off the old stickers, peel them off and use goo gone to clean off the remaining residue.

If this is a case of "I want Optimus Prime!" then look around here or on Ebay for a loose G1 Optimus Prime. He will be pretty expensive, but you can probably find a Prime cab being sold for somewhere around $50 or so, maybe less.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Here's my opinion:

If it's a labor of love, yes, your Prime can be fixed. You should probably search around (or post a thread looking) for a junker G1 Prime with both legs intact. Trying to disassemble that central waist & pelvic area - where you've got a giant main axle holding his legs, his tires and his crotch together - is a real bear, so honestly, in my opinion, don't try it; you'll be giving yourself a headache. Almost everything else up to the pelvic area can be disassembled, cleaned and painted (if necessary) quite easily.

Long story short on the chrome: Short of sending it to a professional, you will not get the chrome to match the original prime. You could always use some of the silver or chrome-like spraypaint to do the job, but it will not look like the original chrome.

Reprolabels are fantastic and they'll go a looong way towards making your Prime look new again.

Finally, in terms of cleaning off the old stickers, peel them off and use goo gone to clean off the remaining residue.

If this is a case of "I want Optimus Prime!" then look around here or on Ebay for a loose G1 Optimus Prime. He will be pretty expensive, but you can probably find a Prime cab being sold for somewhere around $50 or so, maybe less.

4. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Id say get a junker prime to canabolize to fix your original one. That's what I did.

You might be able to glue the leg back together, but given the location and the amount of stress that joint goes under during transformation, I don't think it will hold.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Id say get a junker prime to canabolize to fix your original one. That's what I did.

You might be able to glue the leg back together, but given the location and the amount of stress that joint goes under during transformation, I don't think it will hold.

6. Excelsior Prime

First of all, thanks so much guys for replying.

This is some great advice, and also, not the best news.

Ops, you said it would be a hard time trying to put on a new leg. It looks like it's a matter of unscrewing and as you mentioned, taking off the axle. How hard would it be to do that?

Also, what do you guys think about replacing the broken smokestack? Is that possible or do I have to replace the entire arm?

Paint doesn't concern me that much. I'm going to be displaying him if I can get him fixed up and that's about it.

If I get a spare parts Prime (found a few on Ebay), how hard would it be to replace that broken leg?

Ex

7. Excelsior Prime

First of all, thanks so much guys for replying.

This is some great advice, and also, not the best news.

Ops, you said it would be a hard time trying to put on a new leg. It looks like it's a matter of unscrewing and as you mentioned, taking off the axle. How hard would it be to do that?

Also, what do you guys think about replacing the broken smokestack? Is that possible or do I have to replace the entire arm?

Paint doesn't concern me that much. I'm going to be displaying him if I can get him fixed up and that's about it.

If I get a spare parts Prime (found a few on Ebay), how hard would it be to replace that broken leg?

Ex

8. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The problem is as far as the assembly goes, it seems like in the very early G1 days the idea of disassembling their own product for any reason seemed like a total afterthought, which meant odd locations for parts, pins that were made only to go in onc etcetera.

Prime has several extremely small parts from what I remember and the locations for removal from what I remmeber would be pretty difficult.

As far as the smokestack is concerned and to get the appropriate junker I would post a classified of sorts with your maximum payment, which pieces your missing (right shoulder right?) and see if someone is willing to get rid of their old prime. Heck they may just possibly have the fists too!

you know as far as chroming him back to where he was is concerned, if you have a local mechanic around town who does paint jobs for cars maybe if you tape off the sucker and disassemble him, maybe they can do a small airbrush at 20 psi (just an idea, never tried that myself.)

Then reassemble him and he should look pretty darn good.

9. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The problem is as far as the assembly goes, it seems like in the very early G1 days the idea of disassembling their own product for any reason seemed like a total afterthought, which meant odd locations for parts, pins that were made only to go in onc etcetera.

Prime has several extremely small parts from what I remember and the locations for removal from what I remmeber would be pretty difficult.

As far as the smokestack is concerned and to get the appropriate junker I would post a classified of sorts with your maximum payment, which pieces your missing (right shoulder right?) and see if someone is willing to get rid of their old prime. Heck they may just possibly have the fists too!

you know as far as chroming him back to where he was is concerned, if you have a local mechanic around town who does paint jobs for cars maybe if you tape off the sucker and disassemble him, maybe they can do a small airbrush at 20 psi (just an idea, never tried that myself.)

Then reassemble him and he should look pretty darn good.

10. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh one other thing, you are definitely not the first to have to have made repairs on an old G1, and canabilzing an old robot such as prime is probably surprisingly more easy to do than going to look for original model starscream even (I would think) due to the popularity of the character.

So there is likely a half corpse of a prime somewhere waiting around here that is being used 'just in case' something happens yet again to the very unfortunate primes out there.

11. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Oh one other thing, you are definitely not the first to have to have made repairs on an old G1, and canabilzing an old robot such as prime is probably surprisingly more easy to do than going to look for original model starscream even (I would think) due to the popularity of the character.

So there is likely a half corpse of a prime somewhere waiting around here that is being used 'just in case' something happens yet again to the very unfortunate primes out there.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:

There's your smokestacks answer. I just got some 20th Prime stacks, and A3+ actually sent me a G1 set by mistake. They are all (20th and G1 stacks) top notch :thumb 

As for Prime himself, you could always get an Encore reissue or the Pepsi Prime (swap some parts or something) if it's less about this toy. I'd also recommend surfing out some G1 lots on ebay. Regardless, I wish you well on your repair quest!

Oddly enough, I started out with repairs when I first got back into collecting. The disassembly/reassembly led into kitbashing . . .

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:

There's your smokestacks answer. I just got some 20th Prime stacks, and A3+ actually sent me a G1 set by mistake. They are all (20th and G1 stacks) top notch :thumb 

As for Prime himself, you could always get an Encore reissue or the Pepsi Prime (swap some parts or something) if it's less about this toy. I'd also recommend surfing out some G1 lots on ebay. Regardless, I wish you well on your repair quest!

Oddly enough, I started out with repairs when I first got back into collecting. The disassembly/reassembly led into kitbashing . . .

14. Excelsior Prime

Thanks again, guys.

I posted a wanted thread and I'll see what I can find.

I will keep you guys posted! You all rock!

Ex

15. Excelsior Prime

Thanks again, guys.

I posted a wanted thread and I'll see what I can find.

I will keep you guys posted! You all rock!

Ex

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    This is the part that's living hell. I wouldn't suggest wrangling with it, because it's frustrating and difficult and you'll end up bending a lot of plastic trying to remove that main axle. :( 

I'd suggest trying to find a junker prime with AT LEAST the two inner legs and the pelvis area intact, so you've only got the parts around that area to replace.

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    This is the part that's living hell. I wouldn't suggest wrangling with it, because it's frustrating and difficult and you'll end up bending a lot of plastic trying to remove that main axle. :( 

I'd suggest trying to find a junker prime with AT LEAST the two inner legs and the pelvis area intact, so you've only got the parts around that area to replace.

18. IRONHIDE 2007

IRONHIDE 2007 POWER ISN'T EVERTHING!

poor prime!

19. IRONHIDE 2007

IRONHIDE 2007 POWER ISN'T EVERTHING!

poor prime!

20. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    I know how you feel. I have a G1 Ultra Magnus that's missing the big and little fists, the white leg plates/ramps, missile launchers and missiles, has heavy chrome wear and rusty screws, worn or missing stickers, broken pegs where the big fists plug in, and has a broken tab on his car carrier that holds his shoulder in place in 'bot mode. The missing parts I've seen all over ebay, but the broken bits and chrome wear are more trouble than they're really worth. I'm much better off just getting one for a decent price online, but like you said, this is my Ultra Magnus. I remember the day I got him, twenty some odd years ago!!! Seeing him in a box of old toys in my parents' house is what got me into collecting just over a year ago!

Nobody's telling you to chuck out your ol' Prime. Like others have said, keep checking ebay for junkers or "G1 lots" . I've seen a few cheap auctions with parts for three or four Primes, some missing arms, heads, feet...you name it. If it's worth it to you, go for it and best of luck!