Need some help with wifi and ps3

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kimmer, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

i have kind of a complicated problem but i'll try and make it as simple as i can. i have verizon dsl and i used to use a belkin wireless router. had wifi with that and it was all good. recently my brother moved back in and he's hearing impaired so he needs to use a video phone and the phone has to be hooked up to the dsl via a sorenson vrs router(the company that makes the phone). so i had to stop using my belkin and obviously i have no more wifi connection now. is there any way for me to get wifi back? i just want to be able to play my ps3 online again but have no idea what to do. is it possible to get a seperate router just for the ps3 in my room? any info would be appreciated and pls be as detailed as possible cause i'm sort of a noob when it comes to these sorta things.

2. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Ok, u have a couple options. Get a cheap router switch and connect directly to your verizon router then connect the VRS to the switch and then the router to another port on the switch. Then u should be fine. Just keep in mind that if he's on a call or someone uses the wifi you may suffer dramatic packet loss (this will cause glitches during online play and speed drops). But its the best and easiest option.

The next option is if you have a pc connected to the network that wired, you can get a wifi adapter and hack it to act as a access point. But yet again you risk performance issues with the ps3.

Best of luck.

3. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

could i just get another wireless router and just hook the ps3 up to that? i've never heard of a router switch,are they expensive?

4. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    add me to either yahoo messenger, fuzzy_pimp, or gtalk, tonyc1978. we can talkn there live. i am reading up on your brothers router.