need some help with my novel.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pepsiman98, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Pepsiman98

Pepsiman98 Consulting Criminal

Well i'm going to get back to working on a novel i've been working on and i need a bit of help. It's going to be in 1st person since i can't write good in any other person. Summary: Justin Walkers just got his drivers license and he's ready for his life ahead of him. His friend, John Stevenson, (who is an A+ student and is a super geek) calls on the phone about something urgent. his Dad (a scientist) has intrusted him with his latest invention so it won't fall in the wrong hands, (namely people at his job) his invention is a time machine, which accidentally gains artifical intelligence and goes terminator and tries to kill them, so they have to find a way to destroy it.
    here's an exerpt from the book: "So this projecter opens up a time portal, and then we drive through it?"I asked.
    "That's basically it" John replied.
    here's my dilemma, i can't decide what car they should use. i can't decide if i want to make it a modern car, or an older one, much less what model. could anyone help me make a decision?

2. red4

red4 Banned

That you're turning a common vehicle into a time machine just sounds like a straight ripoff of Back to the Future. If you have any serious intentions of publishing this, then I would completely change the time machine's physical form.

3. Pepsiman98

yeah, i knew that when the idea passed through my brain. but still, what else can i use for a time machine? i can't use a plane, a boat, or a train, and i don't want to go for the common booth-like approach, what could i use?

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, "Grammar for Dummies." Seriously. If you write like you post, you're writing is crap.

5. Pepsiman98

i don't write like that if i'm writing something like an actual novel, i just write like that here because it's quicker.:D 

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Just remember one thing, OP. Sex sells.

7. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

bingo!
    make the time machine inside a woman and the only way to activate it is to put your...
    i'll leave the rest to OP!

8. Pepsiman98

these kids are 16, i honestly don't think that's anything that would fit into the book whatsoever. besides, my dad would murder me if i did put anything like that in there.

9. red4

red4 Banned

If I told you my ideas for a time machine, you'd have to pay me. Just come up with something creative. Hell, why does it have to be something small like a booth or a car? What if it takes something like a *gasp* Large Hard-on Collider to open a time portal? Eh? Eh? *wink wink*

10. red4

red4 Banned

Not if the book made you filthy rich.

11. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    How about a toilet? Or a closet? A lift? A horse? Dog?

12. red4

red4 Banned

or a lifted toilet closet horsedog

13. Pepsiman98

you know, i never looked at it that way before, probably because everything i've seen that involves time travel is something small like that. *gasp* IVE GOT IT! why not i make something like a projecter that opens the portal and then i have a car or something go through it? YES! wait a minute, now we're right back where we started, what kind of car? (or something) :lol 

14. red4

red4 Banned

If a sensible operation did find it practical to "drive" through a portal, I think they'd take a tank or a humvee. And even then, there's no way to be certain what the atmospheric conditions are like "on the other side", so they'd be wise to wear pressurized suits. But maybe I'm being too realistic for your 16-year-olds.

15. Pepsiman98

you'd need to do at least 40 mph to get from one side to another. and John's dad probabaly would tell them how to work the thing over the phone anyway.(he's busy at the moment). and where would two 16-year-olds get a tank or a humvee?

16. red4

red4 Banned

well all I know is they're risking suffocation if they don't take pressure suits
    They can do 40mph on mopeds.

17. Pepsiman98

1.John would be aware of that risk and that's why he calls Justin over a few weeks after he get's the time machine, he needed time to get everything ready.

2.a time traveling moped, that's an odd mental image. let's raise the speed to 50mph

18. red4

red4 Banned

1. How can John really know anything if he hasn't gone through yet.

2. They can probably reach 55 skiing downhill. Open the portal outside on a snowy slope, and you're golden.

19. Pepsiman98

1. His dad's done experiments with it and he's told John what he needs to know.

2. time traveling and skiing at the same time? now were getting somewhere.

20. red4

red4 Banned

1. I already detest John's dad. He's so overconfident without actually passing through the portal himself. I'm also convinced he's an idiot, putting his only child directly in harm's way.

2. What's to stop them from slamming into a tree on the other side? And I mean this tree is 1 inch away from the portal on the other side.