Customs: Need some help painting a twist tie

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Triformis, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Hello, all! I've been hard at work on my first custom (I'll reveal it soon) and I've completed it except for the twist tie I used as a major component. The problem is that I have tried to paint it black using both acrylic paint and a sharpie. Both times, I also put on 2 thin coats of Future floor polish waiting 8 hours between coats for maximum sealing.

However, whenever I bend the twist tie or, sometimes, just touch it for an extended period, the black coloration simply rubs off. I guess it might also help to know that the twist tie I am using is the kind that comes with most TFs, that semi-clear, mostly gray variety.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can permanently color the twist tie black? Thanks!

2. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Have you thought about dying it? If the dye sticks, you won't ever have to worry about paint rubbing.

If you insist on painting it, I'd recommend sanding the twist tie a bit. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I imagine it would help the paint stick better

Anyway, I'd definitely give the dying idea a try. I know there is a tutorial or two about the process here on radicons.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    You could also just wrap it in black electrical tape - or just find a black twist-tie.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If the twist tie is gonna be used as something that is bendable, I would advise against the electric tape.

A black twist tie, however, would be the best idea by far :D 

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, tape may come off over time if you bend it a lot. Black shrink tubing could work as well, but it may loose some flexibility.

I'm curious as to what this is being used for. Will the tie be constantly re-bent, or is it just holding one shape?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I use twist ties to hold parts while I spray them. I notice that the paint cracks off very easily much later. I'd advise dying some to see what happens.

7. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Hmmm....I so wish I had made this thread before I put it back together. lol Oh, well, I think I'll try the sandpaper idea first because that makes sense (and it's the easiest now). If that doesn't work, I may try dyeing if I can get it all apart again.

In semi-answer to your query, MMM, I am making a cord out this tie and that's all I'm gonna say for now. Stay tuned!

I'd use a black one, but I have yet to see any ties for sale that are like the ones that come with the toys: nice and round, easy to bend, durable. Do they come in colors? If so, where?

Also, I know there must be a paint that can coat these things for (almost) all time, so if anyone finds it, let me know for future reference. Thanks, all!