Heavy/Scratch: Need some help/ideas

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Scorponok1977, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

Hi, this is my first post (unless you count when I posted this in the wrong section).

I just got the GI Joe vs. Transformers Omnibus and I'm really stoked about seeing Starscream as a Cobra Night Raven. I would love to make a custom Transformer toy of it, but I'm having trouble trying to figure out the transformation process and parts. I've never done a custom transformer before, but I have some background in kitbashing from making custom computers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I saw the one Night Raven custom on here and while it was really awesome, I'm wanting to make it out of an original Night Raven.

Attached Files:

2. optimusawesome

optimusawesome Well-Known Member

I have to ask. Are you going to keep it in scale so that it will work with GI Joe figures? I have plans of doing a Cobra rattler that will transform into Something resembeling powerglide. I have also been working on other GI joe scale transformers like the RAM and zartans swamp skier.

3. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Well my idea for a good Cobra Night Raven, maybe you'd be best going for a Transformers Energon Stormjet, he looks the part in his Jet mode =) thats my idea =)

4. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

Well I guess it would be in scale with the GI Joe line since they fit into the old Night Raven. Basically I'd like to take an old Night Raven and modify it if possible to turn into Starscream

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That sounds pretty ambitions, but do-able. I would try it on a smalelr scale with the storm jet to see how the transformation will work first (as Terrorcon king said) befoer you spend the $$ on a night raven

6. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

Yeah not a bad idea, I'm also gonna start the actual night raven one on a junked old one I have from when I was a kid.

7. optimusawesome

make the drone into a "minicon"

8. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

Not a bad idea, but I'm thinking about keeping it normal so Cobra Commander has something to ride in like in the comic.

Besides, I grew up straight G1, so the idea of the mini-cons isn't really my bag. lol

9. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

wouldn't classics/universe silverbolt fit the bill on this one

seriously the vehicle mode is almost a dead on match for the cobra nightraven.

10. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

Only thing is I really want it to be the size of the old night raven. I want to take the old GI Joe toy and convert it into Starscream, also important is that I want it to be able to transform. That's gonna be the trick.

11. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope you're prepared, as this is going to get you addicted.

12. AutoFanatic

AutoFanatic Member

is the gi joe vs transformers omnibus anygood?

13. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

In my humble opinion it is great. The last story was a little weak though, but that may be because I'm not a fan of Cobra-La. The way they tie certian things together like the creation of Serpentor was really well done.

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

This sounds like a pretty awesome idea... I'm loving that you want to convert an original GIJOE Raven.

As I recall, the Raven is pretty large... this'll be a huge robot! I recommend getting your hands on a junker Unicron, Primus, Cybertron Prime, or other Leader Class+ figure to use for parts and joints. You can probably save yourself a lot of time if you integrate the pre-existing arms and leg parts from a TF of appropriate size (plus the ratchet joints should be strong enough to support a large bashed figure like that).

I say go for it! :) 

zmog

15. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

Thanks man, those are some really good ideas. I'm gonna take my time with this project since it is gonna be huge (one of the reasons I wanted to use the original Raven is because of the size). I figure the hardest parts are going to be the head and hands. I may have to commission those parts if someone knows a good person to do it.

16. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

Sorry to bump this, but I just found a raven to do this with and I was wondering if anyone who is good with figuring out transformations would maybe want to collaborate on this with me? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

17. optimusawesome

Do You have a Pic of the robot mode?

18. Scorponok1977

Scorponok1977 Member

I do but I have no way to scan it in to the computer. I'm going to see if I can find an image on Google though.