Need some help choosing a new mp3 player.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kimmer, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

my two main focal points are that it be under $100 and be able to play videos. fm tuner and voice recording would also be a plus but not totally necessary. been looking around and so far i've been eyeing the creative zen and the sansa fuze but would love any other suggestions. having good video would probably be the biggest factor seeing as how i want to watch movies on the player and want something that looks and plays flawlessly and accepts most formats with no problems. hope u guys can help.

2. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

tbh man, Ipods are quite amazing in quality and whatnot, i have one i got two years ago, and must say, they can withstand a beating and then some, they really are all that and a bag of chips. If one is out of your price range, thats understandable (the older the cheaper). Before i had an ipod, i just had a cheap mp3 player, so i couldn't tell you too much about which to pick.

3. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

In that price range, I really have no idea man. Sorry.

4. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    yea if you want something that plays video up your price range or go to a Walgrens and buy one of there Coby ones its 2gb and $80

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I've had phenomenal success with creative and sansa products. I just got a microsoft zune, but haven't used it enough to know how well it works yet. might I suggest getting something used?

6. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

definitely don't want to get anything used or refurbished. i was thinking about a zune too but have heard very mixed opinions about it. my brother told me to just get a nano since he's an apple guy but i use a pc and can they even play wmv,divx,xvid,etc movies? plus the screen is pretty small.

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The Zune is great, but not in your price range. I have a Zune 80, and a ZuneHD on pre-order. I used to have a Creative Zen, which is also a great company, and a great player. I haven't looked into their recent releases though.

Apple is very very VERY good at marketing. Apple wouldn't exist right now if they didn't know how to market.

Every one of their producst is inferior to a less expensive competitor, but they have a loyal zombie like fanbase as a result of marketing.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Walkman's go for pretty cheap and are decent players but I've never used on for video so I wouldn't really know. I think there about 80 or 90 bucks for 4 gigs.

9. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

guys just curious,if i get an ipod how easy is it to convert wmv,avi,divx,etc to apples format? i think it's mpeg-4 right? is there a free program out there? thinking about getting the new nano but only if the conversion process isn't a pain to deal with.

10. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

8 gig Zunes are below 100, now. That's what i'd have to recommend, if that's enough storage for you.

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Got my 16GB Sony Walkman the other day for $119. Sound blows away the iPod. It has an FM tuner and can capture music from the FM tuner. It can also capture voice. Also has external speakers, does video and will play AAC lostless. I'm impressed with it.

12. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

13. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Explain this to me.

Because I call it as some anti-Apple zombie bullshit from the result of listening to hyperbole and people shouting on the internet.

15. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Seems like an impossible challenge.

"I would like your moon, on a stick, in exchange for this crisp one hundred dollar bill."

16. TheIncredibleHulk

Still working on it. Had some trouble with it. Loaded a bunch of music on it last night, wouldn't recognize it. Told me it wasn't there, even though there was a listing for it. Reconnected it to the computer, and it was all gone. But it was still taking up space. Same thing with videos. Finally just formatted it, seems to be working so far. Loading music to it again, we'll see what happens.

17. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have a Ipod and love it. I got a 30 gig and need way more space to hold everything. Eventually I hope to get a 100+ GB ipod, but I'll wait till prices go down till i can afford one.

Took out my Apple Rant. Not a fan of their snobish marketing is all. They are good machines. Just not for me..

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  18. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

what type of sony model? how's the video and what types does it play?

what the hell is that? ipod touch clone?

19. TheIncredibleHulk

Pretty much. Seems to work alright so far. Doesn't do internet, email, and all those other special apps but I really don't need that much.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

From our rules sticky:

3: No flaming users or users' consoles.
    We all have our preferences, and some of us even have loyalties (however dumb that is). These should not and will not lead to out-and-out bashing of each others' systems.

Herp derp this applies to everything, so drop the Apple shit before I start tossing out infractions.