(Need Some Help) Buying Toys for those without

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Puundragon, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Puundragon

Puundragon The Mighty Puundragon

This time of the year brings back such memories for me. I remember the joy of coming down on Christmas morning and seeing Castle Grayskull, GI Joe Headquarters, Gobot Command Center and all of those figures. My Birthday is at the begining of December so it is always a good toy month for me. I think about how lucky I was that my parents wanted me to be happy and could provide for me.

Now that I am older and a dad I love to give my kids tons of toys. But when I think about other kids that are not as fortunate, it always tears at my heart. This is the time of year where all children should get toys and I get really sad thinking about them not getting much or anything at all.

I am writing today because I saw a posting on Craig's List (7 YR OLD BDAY BOY WANTS..). It's a mom who was looking for cheap Dinosaurs for her son who is turning 7 on Friday and has loved dinosaurs since he was two. She was saying how her kid is autistic and the only income she has right now is her sons social security check they get. I wanted to cry reading this.

I have decided that I am going out and going to buy him some stuff to give his son. All I want in return is to give his son a happy birthday.

I talked to my wife about buying some stuff for this kid. I went and picked up this awesome book for $15. I got the same one for my son last Christmas. It is huge too 14"x17" and full of awesome pics.
    [​IMG]

Beyond the book, my wife capped my spending at $15 for toys. So I decided to post this on some sites and sent some emails yesterday. Friends, Co-Workers and Trading Buddies chiped in and I have received $122. I have posted pics of all I have purchased below.

We were supposed to meet at 6PM tonight but they had to postpone until tomorrow. I have exchanged a few emails and it sounds like she has to use pay phones and borrow money from her mother. If enough people chip in I would love to get him a bunch more stuff, maybe make Christmas easier for them too. It will be like that Cell Phone commercial where the network of friends help find the little girls dog.

PM if you want to help make a family that I have never met a little happier

Thanks too all those that like helping strangers.
    Andrew

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    our agency is currently looking for donors for our foster kiddos' christmas gifts......

3. newguy

newguy i

I'm currently in a Volkswagen and Audi enthusiast group and every december (Dubcember) we have a car show, and we collect toys for one of the children hospitals.

I'd post some pictures, but photobucket sucks.

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I usually do Toys for Tots each year. They could just get some cheap toys from the 99 cent store or something.

5. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    That's nice :) 

Plus Dinosaurs rule.

6. Puundragon

Puundragon The Mighty Puundragon

Thanks

And thank you to all who donated. I got the last $20 and I am done. I don't have any time to get anything else so we are good.

Thanks