2D Artwork: Need some critique

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by KnightHawkke, Aug 16, 2011.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

From a technical aspect (not character, yes I know some folks hate the character blah blah) I would appreciate some opinions on the new sig, tried some new airbrushing techniques with the fist glow and laser effects on the trailer cannon and other assorted try's with transparency.

Attached Files:

2. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    if you want to do glow then I'd recommend having a look at some good reference material.. for example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

once you look at some examples it becomes pretty obvious how to make something glow.. keep the interior white, and add a coloured glow.

quick and dirty rough example follows..

[​IMG]

so in this firstly the hands are cut out and pasted back on again, the brightness and contrast increased on them to get them all the way up to white with a bit of black shadow n the cracks, the black shadow cut out with magic wand to leave holes between the fingers and hands, then lastly a glow added (right click on the layer, then blending options, then outer glow).

as his hands are are a light source they should be lighting up the rest of his body (as with sylar's face), so just make a new layer above the body and give that layer a blend mode of 'overlay', and then just use the airbrush in white to up the highlights on faces that you think would be hit by the light from his hands.

hope that helps!

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^Some good pointers there KC!! I like his advice. :thumb 

Also, why'd you cover up Optimus?? :) 

4. KnightHawkke

That's not Optimus look a little closer at the colors :wink: 

Yes! under glow on the hands did totally slip my mind! Wasn't aiming for that exact type of glow effect however more of a darker feathery burning fist type energy aura, but an underglow on the hands themselves would help a plenty.

Wish they had done a pic of E riding his trailer in the same style as the MTMTE robot mode would have made things.. easier.

Think I am going to start fresh on the trailer cannon charge cut down on the white energy veins some, looks too much like a swirling vortex and not an energy charge

Good advice so far indeed thanks kjeevahh! thank goodness I don't delete my XCF files :lol 

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    more like this? once you have your glow and separated hands in place you can just play around with colours and blend modes 'till you get the effect you want

[​IMG]

6. KnightHawkke

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    but darker and blue like a cold fire type effect
    similar to this but darker
    [​IMG]
    just need a better method to draw some flames and I need a mouse as I have learned using a trackball in your right hand when your left handed does not lend well to fine control :( 

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was gonna post, but kjeevahh beat me to it :lol 

That being the case, I'll just say that Erector is supah-charging up to build bridges to unite the universe.

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    personally i wouldn't bother trying to draw flames, they are difficult to do well.

you are probably better off getting hold of an existing picture of some flames against a black background and paste them onto your picture. you don't need to cut them out accurately. then (not sure how to do it exactly in gimp, but in this example it's a photoshop blend mode called 'linear dodge') change the blend mode on the flames layer so that only the light bits are shown and everything dark goes transparent.

Then when you've got some nice transparent flames over the hands, all you need to do is change the hue and brightness to turn them into the shade of blue that you want.. eg:

[​IMG]

hope that helps!