Need some computer help

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by OptimusSpanks, Dec 8, 2009.

1. OptimusSpanks

OptimusSpanks Well-Known Member

So I'm currently using a HP Pavilion DV7 laptop as my main computer. A few months back I partitioned my hard drive to be able to dual boot Windows 7 as well as Vista. I now want to reformat my laptop but I was wondering is the Win 7 partition still gonna stick around or is the reformat going to truly wipe everything clean like I want it to. Of course I'd be using the recovery discs that you make when you first purchase a laptop. A little insight or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

depends on the format you do. you could do a factory restore which will clean the drive back to the way it was when you purchased the computer(if it had vista on it when it came it will be vista). but it won't delete the other partition. just delete the partition table. so the other partition will not be bootable unless you reinstall the OS.

basically if you do a complete reformat of the drive yes the window 7 partition will be gone. a reformat will erase EVERYTHING on the drive. but if you are just looking to start with a clean windows install because everything is getting sluggish, i suggest a factory restore. but as i said, if you do a factory restore it will delete the partition table (i'm assuming the origional OS was vista), so you won't be able to boot to win 7 unless you reinstall it after teh factory restore.

3. OptimusSpanks

So basically what your saying is I'm gonna have a hunk of free space with nowhere to put it. I made the recovery discs they advise you to make upon purchase of the laptop so those would set it back to like I just bought it specs. I've done reformatting before but not with a extra partitioned drive.

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Cloud Strife is exactly right and I would follow what he is saying. I could give you more put my way but it would be a somewhat repeat of what he said so I won't.

5. OptimusSpanks

Thanks for the help guys. I have my whole day tomorrow to reformat and then reinstall oodles of software. I can't wait :rolleyes: 

6. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

factory restore is very usefull i did it myself to my laptop about a month ago. and just incase you didn't know how, here is a very usefull video on how to factory restore a HP computer............link

happy formating! and if you have any questions feel free to ask

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009