need some blue ray player assistance

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Zeta Otaku, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Hey all.

Well, my family has had a VERY nice HDTV for a while and we've been suffering through upconvert for FAR too long.

Now that the war is long over, we're in the market for a BR player... but we don't want to pay out the ass for one.

I'm just looking for suggestions and recommendations.

We don't need live content and we don't want a PS3.

Currently I've been eyeing this (Insignia® - Blu-ray Disc Player with 1080p Output - NS-BRDVD).

to me it looks like a pretty solid player. Who can do better? =)

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    you sure you don't want a PS3? When you sign up for the Sony Card, you receive a $150 rebate / refund when you purchase something of $299.99 (or higher) at an authorized Sony dealer.

Get $150 card credit

Amazon.com - 80GB PS3 - $399.99 (no tax, free ship)
    Amazon.com: Playstation 3 80GB: Video Games

$399.99 - $150.00 = $249.99

The nice thing about the PS3 is that it's able to accept upgrades. The hardware is flexible enough to future proof itself from being outdated. If you were to purchase a BR player this time last year, you'd be SOL because of the new spec updates. Yes, your pre-2008 BR players are now dated, not useless, but not built to handle the features coded onto today's disc.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yeah, sorry to burst your bubble but as bang for the buck and pretty future proof BD players go, the PS3 is the best way to go by far as the HDD and consistent firmware updates mean you're gonna be kept up to date with most, if not all, BD developments in the future.

Oh e3 beat me to it :D 

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

PS3 is the way to go. Even if you don't care about video games, for all the reasons already listed it's really the only option. There's no reason not to. Why would you pay the same price for less equipped, less future-proof players?

5. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    well, it's for my parents and if I say PS3, they'll think I'm gonna just use it for games when I already have a 360 and a Wii...

This HAS to be a BR player only. Also, we're not big on bonus features. We just want the movie in HD =)

6. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Just got the Sony BD-350 with 3 movies for $262 shipped two weeks ago from Amazon. That deal has ended but keep checking. The deals are only bound to get better the closer we get to Christmas.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Well you can turn the PS3 in to a media hub (stream movies, music, internet) and when PlayTV hits the states you can use it as a TV recorder too.

8. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

there was a sale last week at Circuit City, forgot which brand, but it was like $250 i think, and came with the Ultimate Matrix collection for free...

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

PS3. Its the way to go for a BR player. It also does a wonderful job of upscaling and allows for streaming of media. Only thing is that I would add is the suggestion to pick up a PS3 BR Remote. It makes things much easier than using the controller.

For my uncle, I told him to get a PS3 as a BR player and he seems to love it (he does not play games at all mind you) and not just for the use of it as a BR player.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah if you do get a PS3, get the remote...makes it way much easier...and you'll never have to use the controller again (you then could ask if you can take the controller for yourself :D )

11. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I would just like to point out to the jury that I have been trying to convince Zeta that the PS3 is the way to go for Blu-Ray for MONTHS now!

12. Starkenator

Starkenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Insignia Blu-Ray player = Difficult firmware updates

I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray and it is by far the best value for a Blu-Ray player but if you are looking for a standalone player at the best value I would stay away from the Insignia and get the Samsung BD-P1500 ($222 on amazon with 2 free movies) or the Sony BDP-S350 ($270 on amazon).

Samsung BD-P1500 Video Players and Recorder reviews - CNET Reviews

Sony BDP-S350 Video Players and Recorder reviews - CNET Reviews

Or better yet get the Panasonic DMP-BD35 ($290 on amazon) which was just received the first cnet editors choice award ever for a Blu-Ray player.

Panasonic DMP-BD35 Video Players and Recorder reviews - CNET Reviews

The main drawback to the Insignia player is its lack of an ethernet port for easy firmware upgrades along with "subpar image quality". And anybody with a Blu-ray player understands that firmware updates are essential for playing the latest discs due to constant changes in the copy protection schemes. With the Insignia you would have to download the firmware upgrade on your pc then transfer it to a disc or flash drive then transfer it to the player for an upgrade.

Insignia NS-BRDVD Video Players and Recorder reviews - CNET Reviews

The Samsung, Panny, and Sony all have ethernet for easy upgrades so you will not even need to leave your couch to upgrade the player. Also the Insignia does not support the new high res audio codecs Dolby TrueHD (multichannel) and DTS-HD Master Audio. Also you say you are not interested in the 2.0 profile now but you never know if that will change in the future. Read the reviews I posted but I say skip the Insignia and get a much better player for not much more.

13. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    PS3. I told my father in law the same thing when he was asking about blu ray players.

14. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

PS3. The compatibility, the convenience, the price, it's really the best way to go.

15. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

get the 360 hd dvd drive, 30 bones in game yo.

what?

16. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't know why you can't purchase a PS3 for a blu-ray player for the many reasons said before me unless your friends will think less of you for owning a PS3.

17. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I keep telling him to show his parents this thread.

18. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I'm holding out for Green Ray. Its gonna make Blue Ray look like Green Ray but with a whole lot less Yellow Ray.