Need some advice

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by valentine75, Oct 25, 2007.

1. valentine75

valentine75 Looking for the allspark

My fiance decided to get me the transformer i had always wanted as a child that being G1 optimus prime, and so went on ebay not too sure what she was looking for and bid and won from the description sounds like a pre transformers diaclone prime.

Heres the description

1. Description
    Optimus Prime Autobot Transformer truck, dated 1980, 1982 (Generation 1, G1) (c) Takara, made in France. Includes red cab and grey trailer.

This transformer is from the very first line of transformers, manufactured in the very early 80s! This is a very collectible piece. It is bound to increase in value, with the launch of the recent Transformers movie!
    The red truck cab transforms into Autobot leader Optimus Prime!
    The trailer folds out into a mini base of operations with a mini capsule on a mechanical arm (see photo).
    Has all original stickers (though some have discoloured and are peeling)
    Tested and transforms perfectly!
    Is missing the following accessories: black gun, purple roller vehicle to go inside the trailer, the purple fists, the black rockets that can be fired from the mini capsule, the fuel pump accessories.
    We did our Transformers research at Transformerland.com. Also find any missing parts, and more information on this transformer at Transformerland.com (http://www.transformerland.com, http://www.transformerland.com).

Item weight with packaging is approx 900g

Full length of truck and trailer is approx. 30cm

2. Condition
    All rubber tyres are in tact and in excellent condition. The trailer still has its fold out support legs, which help prop up the mobile base. The mini capsule in the base has its radar and mechanical arm still in tact, and it can be lifted up on its own retractable arm.

Both the trailer and cab transform perfectly, though they are a little stiff due to not being used for a long time. The original box and tech specs are missing.

This was mine when I was a child and it has had plenty of play use. It is nearly 30 years old! Some of the stickers have faded and are peeling. Also, the blue/silver stripe sticker along the right side of the trailer is partially selotaped down, since it was peeling, and the selotape has yellowed slightly. On top of the trailer, and on its door, appears to be the remains of where some stickers once were. The grey plastic of the trailer has also yellowed slightly with age. One of the two holes to hold the trailer door in place has snapped off, and so the trailer door does not fit as securely as it did when new. Part of the silver front bumper on the cab has snapped off. There is some sticker wear, and some minor paint chips on the red cab.

At first when she told me i was over the moon until i read the condition of the toy
    she only paid £26 for and i understand its nearly 30 years old but i told her i'd rather she not waste her money and tell the person

Do you think i was right in doing so?

she did admit she had no idea what she was looking for and had no idea of all the little extras

She said she felt really bad and set about looking for another and was willing to fork out £50 for one in much better conditon i told her i could get a brand new encore for cheaper.

2. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    If it were me, I'd accept it because it's cheaper.. whatever it is.. and I'd probably display it as a center piece in my collection. Just because it was from her...

I feel bad she feels bad :( 

I think it's so great she went and tried to find you something..

This is only assuming she got it at a bargain.. if she accidentally paid too much for an item.. i'd feel better having her return it.. .. as for her finding another fig.. .. i guess it would depend on her financial situation..

Again.. this is me..

3. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

I agree with Ran. WHen my wife and I were still dating, she once got me these piece of garbage knock off gundams. I knew it wasn't real or something I'd ever buy, but I always kept them cause she bought em for me cause she wanted to. Now, a few years later, I love em and they mean alot even though they still look like cheap KO junk to everyone else.

4. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

For me, sentimental value trumps actual, objective value. That toy was given with love, which is better than minty-fresh stickers and perfect paint. :)  Plus, it IS an original, vintage Prime.... a re-issue like the Encore version might be cheaper, but to me there is something special about a toy that has weathered the years.... even if it looks, well, weathered.

If the weathering bothers you, well, then you could always restore it (to a degree, at least). Replacement parts for the trailer, new fists, and a set of Reprolabels will do wonders. The broken trailer door hinge and the cab bumper might prove a little tougher, but fixing them is not impossible.

Just remember that in the end, you have a fiancee that not only supports your hobby but actually listens to what you want and purchases more toys for you. That right there is worth it's weight in vintage G1 figures. :) 

5. valentine75

She sent the seller an email so we're waiting on a reply and so might still end up with it.

I guess if i do end up with it i'll have to go hunting for the mising bits

6. valentine75

How easy would it be to get the spare parts if the seller isnt willing to back down from the auction

7. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    On ebay, would probably cost as much again to complete, unless you get lucky somehow. I have a G1 prime missing pretty much everything yours is (I have one fist, heheheh, and roller) and I can't really justify spending £6 on his gun and £4 on a fist when I only paid £5 for him in the first place.

BTW, I think the price on the auction is a bit high for the condition it describes.

8. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Personally I'd keep it. Yes she may have paid a bit to much, but she did it in her affection and love for you. Nevertheless I'd be thrilled about it, also it shows that she supports your hobby etc.
    I'd keep this one and have it on display "as is". And instead of going parts hunting etc I'd get an Encore version, so I could have one complete, mint and fresh but without the special sentimental/affectional value of the other.
    If you feel she overpaid it a bit, then make it up for her. Buy her something nice or go have dinner or watch a movie together on your treat :) 

9. valentine75

The seller contacted her and they mutually agreed to suspend the transaction.
    The guy offered to another bidder so no one has lost out.

Obviously I feel bad as my Fiance went to a lot of effort and i plan to make it all up to her by getting her a £80 tattoo

and to save in any future embarrasments I will be training her in the knowledge of transformers starting with chapter 1 G1

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Return it, scold her and make sure it does'nt happen again

11. valentine75

12. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say K.O's. IIRC Jafcon Prime had different Windows. Though I'm not sure. I most likely read it wrong.

13. valentine75

more than likely the white one is probably a magnus with the wrong trailer

14. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Looks like TRU reissue prime with short smokestacks (assume they aren't broken, kinda hard to see on the pics), and a white ultra magnus cab with a prime trailer, and a K.O (i assume) black prime that still is quite nice.

15. valentine75

might keep an eye on it i could always touch the magnus with a blue face plate and if possible give the black one some red eyes and stick on some decepticon factions labels

16. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

£26 is indeed too high for g1OP in such condition.(The accessories are expensive to get) Unless it's the special redfoot variation.(The price still too much for me even if it's the redfoot)