Need some advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hound_Dawg, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

Let me preface this with the following. I have no problems with what people do in their personal lives. Personal choices on what someone does is just that personal. As such My problem comes when someones personal choice causes a problem for me at work

I work for a call center for a computer company. While i may not be completely happy with the job I have never let it be public knowledge and have always rated high on all my reviews. This week I had a serious health at work. I have an allergic reaction to Pot. It is something that i have had since high school and the symptoms are pretty clear. I always get chest pains and my through swells up. This has always caused me serious problems in my life as I have had to be cautious about what parties to attend and who to hang out with and where. One of the worst incidents was when one of my mother's friends son would smoke pot and i would have an allergic reaction if i was around him. even if it had been a few days as long as it was on his clothes i would know. This caused fights between my mom and her friend cuz i would not go over to their house for the sake of my health.

Well at work this week some one had either smoked recnely or had some pot in their bag on their desk. I walked over to talk to another technician about a case and all of a sudden i couldn't talk. I could feel my airway closing and the person i was talking to knew i was in trouble. they helped me away from the area out side and i was able to start breathing again. but I couldn't stop coughing and all i could do at best was just drink fluids. after a half hour outside i was able to get home with some help and get some benadryl and while that helped I was really in no shape to work that day. Due to my jobs attendance policy i was trying to push through and that was for sure not happening. So i went to look for a manager to talk about my options. My manager as well as most of the others were in training. those who weren't were out to lunch. I had no one to talk to. So i chose to speak to the next best person one of the L3 managers.

He and i have spoken in the past about different health issues and it didn't take long for him to figure out what was going on. Now I knew from the moment this happened that I could in no way say "I had an allergic reaction to the pot or pot residue on 'Bob's' desk". It would put the person in a bad position and put my company in a bad position. So i tried to speak carefully. but as i said it didn't take long for him to know what caused the reaction. He took the issue to HR and I was told to go home. Course i was told to go home to get my self out of the triggering environment by my L3 manager, HR said that i should go only if i felt it was in my best intrest. This comes back to the attendance policy. Because of what was said i did leave. I was able to sleep and kinda clear up most of the reaction. I wasn't able to get ahold of my manager that day so i knew i would have a chance to talk to her today.

This leads me to today. I got to work, did my normal log in routine. I had a moment to take my meds, my throat was still kinda messed up so i was having some juice. I had to take my medication. When i did i couldn't swallow my meds. I was un-nerved, I figured at best i should have been over my reaction. this was not the case, I had to throw up the one pill i took just to get it unlodged. I was not starting off the day well at all. All i could do was have liquid i couldn't eat anything today and i couldn't take any of my meds at all. When i went over to the area where all this stuff started i was having alot of the same reactions. But i was gonna push through. I had gotten a bad head ache today from not having my blood pressure meds and stuff and had tried to take some tylonal, same thing happened as earlier. I was fed up. I called my doctor and got an appointment.

I left work early for the appointment. The doctor confirmed that what i was going through was signs of having an allergic reaction to something. all the time we are being carefull not to fully come out and say anything incriminating. I had to get a shot to clear up my swollen throat and will be on steriods for the reaction for the next week. I will be out of work due to my doctor pulling me from work. I had to file a leave of absence. By the end of the day i finally got ahold of my manager explained what happened and how my health was affected and where. She knew that the L3 who i had spoke to called the reaction to pot. so she confronts me on it and i tell her that i only have one allergic reaction that is like that and yes it is to pot. She then blew up and told me that i had no right to accuse some one of using. I told her i wasn't accusing and at best i would say that he was in an environment that may have had that substance and i was just unlucky to be around him following that time. but I was no way saying he was a user. She continued to tell me how i was putting the company at risk for being sued by the other guy. How i was ruining his career by making false claims. I was floored. I told her i didn't care any more. that i wouldn't speak of it. She said she would have to talk to HR now and her manager and that she is going to have to have a long talk with me for my actions next week.

So here we are. I am worried i am gonna get fired for this. It isn't unlike where i work to do something like that. but i have a family to support. I don't think it is fair to punish me for my health reaction. Yes i know how hard it is for this company to prove, but i know what i am allergic to. I know how long i have had this paticular issue. So, i am gonna wait out the rest of the week, i have to take tomorrow off doctor's orders and i usually have friday and saturday off anyway. Then there is sunday I have to go back but there are no managers that day. So monday leaves me with the big question. what happens to me that day. Do you think i am being paranoid? should i be concerned? A little advice would help at the moment. Thanks all.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Whoa, that's a tough one. There isn't any other kinds of meds that will make it go away? What a weird allergy.

3. Hound_Dawg

There really isn't anything i can take other then like benadryl and when it get's bad a steroid shot to help the inflamation. Of all the things to be allergic to for sure, not one that i would have picked

4. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

If the doctor can confirm your allergy to pot, isn't it an unlawful firing? I'm no lawyer so don't quote me on that, but it would make sense.

5. Hound_Dawg

Yeah the doctor can confirm it. His findings i guess would have to go in the medical leave of absence forms he has to fill out for me to stay out of work till i get better. My real concern i guess would be that idaho is a right to work state. you can get fired at anytime for any reason or no reason at all. With my managers reaction I am worried that law may come into play

6. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Your place of work doesn't do drug tests?

7. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

If I were you, I'd get a lawyer and fast. I would be willing to venture that you can find one that will do this pro bono. That your manager threatened you with a reprimand (and possibly worse) because of your allergies amounts to discrimination based on disability in my view, but IANAL. Again, get a lawyer...or I think you're going to end up being the one suffering here.

8. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

You have a right to work in a healthy enviroment. If something's causing you to have an allergic reaction, they need to take measures to help get rid of the problem. They should be doing drug tests. Like Fresh said, it would be an unlawful firing if they fire you. You would probably have a case.

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm with the get a lawyer crowd. Just from your story, something doesn't sound right. I would start preparing for the worst here. With any luck though, the worst will not happen. It never hurts to be ready... just in case.

10. Hound_Dawg

Yeah where we work we have to sign a paper that says we can be tested with out cause at anytime. In this case i am not sure why they haven't used it. I couldn't think of a quicker way to put this whole thing to rest.

Between looking for another job and all today i am looking for a lawyer. I have never been met with a reaction like that from my manager. So something tells me I need to keep my cards close to my vest as it were. Thanks for the advice on this situation. It is helping me keep a clear head on things.

Being away from the situation is for sure letting me keep a clear head about things while i make a plan. A good nights sleep didn't hurt either lol

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you find another job, make sure it doesn't have any hippies working there.

12. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Sounds to me like the manager is worried about her own blatant pot use coming to light. That's a horrible reaction from someone who's supposed to be skilled at managing people. I would never pull that kind of amateur crap on my staff.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, your manager's a dirty hippie and she's going to get fired.

14. Hound_Dawg

lol there may be truth to the hippy part i am not sure. LOL thanks for the laugh though

15. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Keep us up-to-date - I'm interested in how this develops.

16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see any problem if your doctor can prove that you indeed have an allergic reaction...sure everyone has "rights" but what about your "right" to be in a healthy, dude?

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Most places like that have drug tests, but after the test peeps can get through. If you can get the Dr. to confirm it with a note that you are alergic to Cannibis, you should get a note and all will be fine. I have never heard of anyone being alergic to weed, but I guess its a first time for everything. Get a note man, if they fire you with a Dr.s note, sue the crap outta them. O, and you cant get Marijuana in your system through a contact. I recently had to go drug testing procedures and I asked the Dr. and they said no way. But most alergic reactions happen through contact fo the substance, or it could be like pollen and yes get in the air and get into your lungs..

18. Hound_Dawg

we are supposed to be having a social event for my "team" at work today. I chose not to go given the situation. I don't see any member of management again till monday, though i go back on sunday for my weekly schedule. I plan on keeping my guard till i have a meeting with my manager.

19. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    People can indeed have allergic reactions to pot. They really shouldn't be bringing pot to work in the first place. I've smoked before, and you would never know it at the work place. Keep it away from public knowledge, as it IS illegal. Sounds like your manager is a hippy; you need Cartman to come in and spray for hippies.

20. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I was just thinking that :lol