Need Some Advice on Selling a Family Heirloom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megatronwp38, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I am considering selling this, my grandfather broght it back from Germany after WW2. I am torn on if I should or not. I am considering selling it so I can get at BT-17 Black Convoy, which I would get MUCH more enjoyment out of, however I feel as if I am betraying my Grandfather who gave this to me before he died.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    THoughts.

2. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Heck no!

Edit: You'd have some fun with Black Convoy now, but I'm pretty damn sure that in 50 years time a WWII antique will be quite damn more interesting to you, not to mention most likely way way more valuable.

Edit 2: Not to mention that's a rather fine weapon for any collector... if it wasn't for the swastika I would probably have it on display if I owned it, even though I don't collect.

3. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

Ummmm. Hell no!!! They aren't making those anymore you know...:D  I've got a WWII German helmet that like the dumb kid that I was I wore when we played war in the woods..Thank God, I held on to it.

4. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

No way man. Piece of history FTW.

5. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Case in point, my grandmother's brothers fought in the war against the Russians (Finns) and we still have a few of the hat pins they scavenged. Not that those are worth anything today, but I'd never, ever, EVER even consider to sell them because of the personal history involved.

6. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

kick ass sword> binaltech repaint

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Better suited for General Discussion.

Also, are you crazy? Keep the heirloom! We live in a sad state of affairs when someone would actually entertain the notion of selling something their deceased grandfather gave them as an heirloom for the cheap temporary thrill of a toy collectible. There is no way under any circumstances you should sell this. Get a job delivering pizzas, in a week you'll have enough money for that BT-17 and keep the priceless gift your grandfather gave you.

8. Megatronwp38

I know, I really enjoy this piece. I have observed ones in worse shape go on ebay for $400+ I was a history major, so I appreciate this, however I also am looking at my now incomplete BT collection thanks to this overpriced BT Exclusive and it ANNOYS me that i went to such ends to aquire all the other regular BT pieces, even all 4 smokescreens and now I am missing this one piece.

9. Megatronwp38

I do have a job, make very good money actually LOL. ALso, sorry I thought I put it in general discussion. I just can't spare $300 for a toy out of my pay right at this moment in time, and I would like to get the BT17 before it goes up to an even more astronomical price.

10. Vector Sigma

Vector Sigma <b><i><font color=FFFF00>Crazy Colon Burner!!!!</b Veteran

Don't sell a beautiful family heirloom for a toy.

I really don;t know how to say that in any better way. Just don;t do it, you'll miss it terribly...

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

The reiterate what KidDynamite said... ARE YOU CRAZY???

This is something you can pass down to your children, and they to their children.

This is a world war II artifact, don't sell it to get a toy! Seriously what are you thinking, I would never consider selling something like that unless my children were starving.

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Then get a second job. Or wait a few years and buy it 3, 4, 5 years down the road when you CAN afford it. It will still be out there, trust me. Just don't part with this, seriously. You will regret it for the rest of your life.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    "like"? no, you would be betraying him. I doubt he gave that to you to sell for a toy. I think he wanted to give it to you for you to have, and remember him by.

14. Megatronwp38

Ok OK, gesh.....Don't need to be so HARSH. This is why i was asking for opinions because I am torn. I know the toy will be around, I am not an idiot and have been collecting TFs for many years, I Know how they work. You can't tell me there isn't one Transformer out there that you have not tried to think of EVERY possible way to get it because I would have to call BS.

15. Vector Sigma

Call bullshit if you like buddy, but i would NEVER consider selling a fmaly heirloom just to buy a bit of freaking plastic. And this is coming from a guy who bought the first Alt Meister proto for $300. If you can afford something, cool, if not, don;t sell your family history for it.

Some things are simply far more important...

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    don't sell it, I can't believe you even thought of selling it. WTF is wrong with u? *smacks*

17. Megatronwp38

Well everyone is different. I was never close to my grandfather and the only reason he gave it to me was because I was in college majoring in history otherwise he himself was just going to let it go in his will to be sold.

I have had it for 10 years, i actually display it with my Hard Hero Transformer Busts. I go through phases where I think I should sell, mainly because most of my friends and my family, especially my sister, think it is inappropriate to have because of it's origins.

18. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

You must be crazy to even consider selling that for somethings as trivial as a Transformers toy. The answer is a flat NO. Do NOT sell that heirloom.

19. Vector Sigma

Thats a fair point buddy. You have to decide whats important to you. My opinion is that family stuff shoulnd;t be sold, but if you were close, if it is neither here nor there for you, then I guess selling it could be justified.

It's all down to how you feel about heirlooms, and for everybody thats a different hing. And we should respect whatever a person decides about what parts of their family history means what...

20. Megatronwp38

Exactly, and that is where my emotions are torn because I really feel it was a last effort to try and connect with me. I really don't want to sell it deep down, as I said I was a history major and I teach US history. I have used it in class and kids generally respond well to it. It's hard for me to explain how my mind works, because even I at times don't get myself LOL. I could probably swing the toy and just conserve money for the coming week. I'm just a little short because of the latest TF purchases I made of two MP Megatrons and Two of each of ravage and rumble. They were my TF budget for April and May.