Need recommendations on a new Laptop

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Predakwon, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I currently have a Dell Inspiron 6000. It serves me well but I need a smaller one when I travel.

Anyone here any recommendations?

Basically, I just need one with Internet and Microsoft programs.

Don't want to game or need massive amounts of memory.

Thx!

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Try a MacBook air, you can't get much thinner and you can put windows on it, heck you could copy your computer if you wanted.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well if you like dell, why not get their new Mini-notebook?? It starts at just $350, has a 9 inch widescreen.

4. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

i just got a macbook black because my previous laptop died. It was about 1300 when it was all said and done but I love it. It has a 250 gb hardrive, 2gb or ram, and a 2.4 ghz intel duo processor(s). And around christmas i can spend 180 bucks and upgrade to 4gb of ram.

So thats my recommendation. Biggest harddrive they offer without an upgrade option and its the second cheapest mac laptop net to the base white model.

5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get an acer netbook

120 gig hd
    1 gig ram
    windows xp or linux
    8.9 inch screen
    3-6 hour battery life depending on the model
    under 400$

The only 'bad' thing is that there's no cd drive. There are however a lot of usb ports and 2 sd card slots

6. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

You want a Netbook.

As mentioned, the Dell starts at $350.00, Wal-Mart sells the Acer One for the same price, plus Target sells the Asus Eee PC for about $300.00

All of them have the Intel Atom mobile processor, operating at 1.6 gigs.
    Most of them have 1 gig of RAM, and at least an 80 gig hard drive. (The Acer at Wal-Mart has a 120)

For portability, wireless connectivity, and enough processing power to surf the internet or watch a movie, or work on simple spreadsheets, these Netbooks are perfect for what you need.

NOTE: None of them have an Optical Drive, so you'll need to buy one, or make one with an external enclosure and a standard PC drive.

Walmart.com: Acer 8.9" Aspire One AOA150-1172 Laptop PC with Intel Atom processor N270, Black: Computers (Acer One, but the page is incorrect. They do sell it in store, I've seen them on display.)

ASUS 8.9" Eee 4GB PC Netbook Computer with Linux - White : Target Asus Eee PC with 4 GIG flash drive, and Linux. (Although the Linux can be replaced with Windows XP Home if you have the disc.)

Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Details Dell Mini 9. Can be customized before ordering, most affordable one comes with Linux, but can be upgraded to XP, along with some of the hardware.

Don't spend $1,000.00+ on the new Mac laptop, it's too expensive considering it's basically a glorified version of a Netbook, the processor's a little faster, and you can wirelessly connect to the home PC's Optical Drive for watching movies or burning discs, but it's nothing to write home about unless you're an absolute Apple fan.

7. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Dell Laptops are were it's at. Get one from Best Buy. It has 3GB of Ram and a 250GB hard drive. Only 700 dollars. Definitely the most bang for your buck.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I echo the Netbook recommendations.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I'm using an Inspiron mini right now. Nice and compact, big, bright screen, easy to use. I'd recommend it.

10. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks everyone. For those with the Dell Netbook or the Acer, how's Excel on it?