need psp help/advice

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NotFastEnuff, Feb 2, 2006.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    I've searched, but the threads only go back to 1/1. I know a while back there was debate about the psp updates. I've got one of the early PSP 1001 versions, and on the official psp site, they "highly recommend" that I update. Is this correct? Do I need to update? I was keeping up with all of this when I first got it, but life took over and my research stopped. Help me out, please. Also, is there a utility I can get to read .cbr (i think) files on my psp?

Thanks.

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    It depends. If you are interested in the homebrew scene, then definately do not upgrade. Most of the homebrew stuff is reliant on older version numbers. If you want to play newer PSP games, or use the web browser, you'll have to upgrade. The firmware upgrade will come installed on new games that require it though, so there's no real need to download it. Of course Sony "highly recommends" the updates, because they don't want people using homebrews. There are no critical bugs or anything that would make it a neccessity.

3. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    Do you do any homebrew/emu stuff on it? If not, then you might as well update. I don't know if there's really any drawback other than not having the extra features.

Also, if you were to upgrade to the 2.0 firmware, and decide you want to try the homebrew stuff you can downgrade to 1.5. So you aren't completely screwed if you update and change your mind.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    And you can risk turning your PSP into a useless brick in the process like my cousin.

if you want to play homebrew stuff, and play recent games, just pick up GTA:LCS. there's an exploit that allows you to run homebrew stuff by loading a malformed save file which you can easily find on the internet. easy way to "get it all" without risking your PSP, or losing the ability to play new games.

5. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    I must be dumb or something. I always thought I was somewhat tech intelligent, but after spending an hour on pspupdate, I'm completely lost. I don't have a clue what half the stuff they're talking about is. Maybe I just need to stick with games and movies on mine. :redface2: 

6. OmegaSaber

OmegaSaber Your buttcheeks is warm

Ebay:
    Not if it's done correctly.

7. Big Nine

Big Nine <font color= pink><b>Pink Soul<br>'Weak Humanoid G Veteran

Yeah some people got hit with a trojan when downgrading. If you get the downgrader form a reliable site, then there is no problem.

8. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    What kind of risks are there to screwing up my PSP? I didn't spend that much to have a pretty paperweight. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to do anything. Thanks.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Just stick with the regular stuff if you're nervous about it.

My PSP has all that homebrew crap working fine and is still a paperweight. Go figure.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    If you dont do EXACTLY what the instructions for the firmware downgrade that you need to do in order to run homebrew software, your PSP will never boot up again.

or you can just exploit a thing in GTA, that will let you run homebrew stuff regardless of your firmware version.

11. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I have a problem, i was messin with my analog stick and i ripped the cap off and i dont know where it went. How do i fix it?

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    take one off a demo unit in a store. :p 

you can buy them too, but they're not sony brand, and are more like little analog sticks than sony's "nub", (in other words, a pain in the ass to use, since these sticks dont tilt)

13. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    really what store sells this stuff?

14. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    I guess that I need to add that i'm currently running 1.5, so there's not any downgrading needed. Should I upgrade to the newer?