Customs: Need pin puller or pin pusher

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by fun15power, Sep 18, 2012.

1. fun15power

fun15power Well-Known Member

I've only customized one Transformer, but I want to continue customizing Transformers. I've already have little screw drivers for the screws. I need something for getting those little pins out. I was told of a thing called a pin puller or pin pusher for this job. If you have any ideas or suggestions about where I can buy this tool or anything similar to it, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Your local Hardware store, or even a Wal*mart maybe, will carry what you need.

I use a lightweight hammer, a 4x4x4 block of wood, and a 1/8 pin punch - flat tipped. Other folks have had it go good using small nails in place of a punch.

Find what works best for you, and run with that.

3. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
  4. fun15power

fun15power Well-Known Member

simple tools

Do you have to use more than one tool for removing pins from a toy? I checked out that link and I thought woooo! Those things are expensive. I'm just looking for 1 or 2 hand tools that can remove pins from Transformers.

5. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Check out the info that Plowking gave you.

6. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

I use an automatic punch like this one:Automatic Center Punch. Many people shunned it when I brought it up before, but it works great for me and no need for extra tools/equipment.

7. wheeljack359

Ebay:
    No but I have a "shop" as my garage and use these tools for other engineering projects as well, using the press with a holder for the punch gives you control and quickness of removing pins without stressing the plastic, freehand you risk going crooked, its not imposible but again im very into "proper proceedure and damage preventative proccess" its an Engineer thing!
    also I can safely remove the pins in about a second, one pass no banging or straining involved.

I got my small press for 25 bucks, Im nothing if not cheap. LOL!

you can also use a base of a ruined or scrap piece of "breadboard" the electonic test type. it makes for a good base and the holes allow for the pin to pass through.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, I got a 6-piece pin punch set that I use. Bought it for $10 or so. Use the smallest one to punch pins out, use the larger ones to push them back in.

I use a rubber mallet rather than a hammer.

And then a block of wood, literally the cut end of a Christmas tree stump.

9. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Never thought of using a press to knock out pins i have always done it the hard way or used a soldering iron

10. wheeljack359

Ebay:
    Hey just for a FYI, a trick I use to push pins through and it will work with or without a press is:

get a spray foam and a plastic bag place the figure unto the bag and the nozzle of the foam can rubberband to the bag opening as you spray into the bag the foam hold the figure to the placement you need the faom will harden then you have a great base for any angle you want to press against.

I got the idea from the spray foam cushining for shipping electronics.

11. seanb47

seanb47 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So,along these lines,does anyone know if this is something easy to perform on the DOTM movie toys?I'm noticing on most of the pins that one side is smaller than the other but on some you have bigger ones for both ends of them.Anyone know the difference?

12. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Usually the bigger side of the pin is the head, so you should push it out from the opposite side. Some pins don't have a head, but do have a friction pattern at the center.

13. Neekotron

Neekotron We're in Ratbat Country!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    What about a pin like PRID Ratchet's hands? The small end of the pin is not exposed in the opposite side of the plastic, how would removing those go?

14. seanb47

Ebay:
    So,I finally was able to get a couple of small hinge pins out although it gave both plastic joints a stress fracture and put a hole in my GF's coffe table.(DOH! :D  ).Now I noticed that there are larger looking pins with flattened heads on them.I was able to get one off and low and behold it's some type of flat headless screw.How does one go about taking these bad boys off w/o damaging the toy?They look like the attached picture in the center of the back of the wheel:

Attached Files:

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Me too. Just be careful with it, as the torque is pretty strong.

16. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I just picked up an automatic center punch, but it doesn't seem to be moving the pins. I just hold it in place and the tension is supposed to push the pin out, right?

17. seanb47

Ebay:
    Well,you have space underneath for it to come out,right?Not to sound like you don't obviously already know that.It could be that you are doing it from the wrong side where the grippy metal parts are making it harder to push them out.I would say after a good couple of taps and you don't see the grippy side of the pin sticking out try it from the other side.

18. Neekotron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Yep, big old block of wood with holes drilled in it. Holding the piece so that the opposite end is clear of anything that would block movement. It looks like it is moving a very small amount, but not enough to pull out either.

19. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use nails. I nip the point off, and that way I have a nice flat head to pound on. And any size imaginable.

20. seanb47

Ebay:
    bump-would really like to know if anyone has a answer for this?