Customs: Need Paint Recommendations

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ultimate Matt X, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X Well-Known Member

I'm looking to touch up Animated Megatron's sword and Classics Silverbolt's chest and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Obviously I know these are two different silver colors, but I thought they'd be good to get because they could also help me touch up some other figures. Animated Prowl's face paint and Activators Bulkhead's bronze color are some other things I'm considering. Also, any advice on cheap ways to apply these paints is appreciated. I'm looking to do a few touch up jobs before I get into some big mods.

Finally, and a little off from the original question but say I wanted to turn my Legends Classic Jazz all gold, what would be a cheap way to do that where it would at least hold up a little while?

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I prefer enamel silver. Enamel metallics seem to be very vibrant and shiny. Testors makes several hues of silver...so I'd visit the hobby shop with the figures in hand and match the colors, then buy them.

There is no "cheap" way other than using a $3.00 brush to apply the paint, and a couple bucks for thinner to clean the brush.

You most likely aren't gonna get a gold Jazz for cheap either. Unless of course you spray gold paint on it, which won't look like the lucky draw gold, it will just look like metallic gold.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Of course, you could just as easily get a silver acrylic paint and not have to buy thinners. :p  Depends partially on how quick and easy you want to do it. And as for cheap ways to apply it... a brush is the traditional way. ;) 

As F_R says, most gold paints aren't going to be particularly gold; they're metallic, but not proper proper shiny.
    How'sabout something like Alclad chrome spray topped with clear yellow? That'd probably get you about as close to a Lucky Draw-style finish as you're likely to get without professional chroming.

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    If you're gonna go that route, Alclad makes a gold/chrome.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Or there's that. Dumbarse. *facepalms*

6. Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X Well-Known Member

So enamels will typically need thinned? I just bought some Testors Model Master and some Tamiya. I got the Chrome Silver in each because I wanna see how it matches up with the silver Hasbro always uses.

From experience does anyone have any specific colors they would recommend having around because they are used a lot?

Oh as far as the gold I don't necessarily want it to me shiney, flat is fine.