Customs: Need Paint Advice.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Methusalen, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    OK, I was looking around at my paint choices at Walmart yesterday, not finding a lot of choices...

I was looking for some orange Krylon Fusion to do my "Kitty Prime" repaint, which I'll be doing from a Pepsi Prime figure. While I did find a can of "Pumpkin Orange" Krylon paint, it wasn't KRYLON FUSION... Much to my dismay, I didn't see any other orange paint (other than a clear orange paint)... So, I'm hoping for some pointers and advice...

Will the regular Krylon paint work on Prime? Should I put down a basecoat of white primer or a first coat of some Fusion paint? Now, I have a set of Reprolabels in the works, but need to paint the cab orange... So, what would you recommend I use to turn
    [​IMG]
    into
    [​IMG]
    ?

Thanks in advance for the paint advice, I'm hoping to get this done sometime soon; as I'd like to take him to Dairycon (if I decide to go)...

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yes. Fusion will act as your best primer from a can. You are bonding the fusion to the plastic, then the orange Krylon to the fusion.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed!

4. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Problem is, the Fusion likely won't stick to the metal (that's the point of the paint)... however, if you basecoat the plastics with some Fusion, and use a good primer on the metal, you should be able to then spray your orange on-top of both... there might be a slight differece in the final color tho, depending on the opacity of the orange, unless you manage to use the same color Fusion as Primer...

5. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    fusion doesn't stick to metal? worked for me in the past.

6. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It should still work like a normal primer.

7. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, according to Krylon's Webpage for their Fusion brand paint, the recommended surfaces for Fusion are:
    So, it should stick to any surface on Prime (sans the rubber tires, I'd guess... not that it matters, I'm not gonna paint them anyways!). So, I use some sort of Krylon Fusion (probably white) as a primer coat on the disassembled figure, then spray over it (after dry) with the regular Pumpkin (Safety) Orange Krylon.

Unless of course, I can find a can of Pumpkin Orange Fusion, which the site says is available!
    Sounds like a plan then... Thank you again for the replies guys!

8. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

I'd recommend grey. Every colour matching course I've ever taken recommends a grey sealer. It's possible the red will bleed through the white.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yes. gray is key for muting out the color of whatever you're painting. if you can't get gray, use silver. whenever painting drastic color hue changes in the sign industry, we'd use silver metallic.

10. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Alright, I swung through Ace Hardware, and the guy working there was able to help me out! First off, they had the Krylon Fusion Pumpkin (safety) Orange paint! So, I obviously picked up a can! I think I'll give this a shot first, and if the red does bleed through (and is REALLY noticeable)- I'll go back, strip it down, & repaint...

When I get started on the project, I'll update my "Sentimental Digibash Request" thread (or start a new one, since the old thread's 2-3 months old now!). I still thank you for the advice, but my problem at the time (not finding the orange Fusion) has been solved... You've been a help none-the-less!

EDIT: Alright, I've gotta ask... Is a grey basecoat really going to help here? Would the red noticeably bleed through the Krylon's orange color?

Ever feel like we should just have an "I'm a newbie kitbasher, now here's a bunch of questions for you all" thread? I don't know, I suddenly feel that way...

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I mentioned this before. Ace hardware, i think is owned by Sears, therefore they are all over the place, and have that mom&pop store feel to them, therefore, you go in, make a request, and the next day, they have what you want.

good luck with the orange!

12. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=87627 Thats kind of what this thread is for. Already has a lot of info, definitely worth a read.

13. Methusalen

News Credits:
    frenzy_rumble: Oh, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear... When I originally went looking for Krylon Fusion at my local Walmart, and had no luck finding it, but they DID have the 'plain' Krylon... Ace had the Fusion paint I was looking for!

Tonyzcustomz: Yeah, I guess I was referencing that thread... I knew of it, heck... I've read it! -But thought a 'newb' question thread was a good idea... but, since you mentioned that thread, I guess it is pretty similar...