Need opinions and experience regarding sunlight on old g1 toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mweeuser, Jan 12, 2010.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I tend to be very paranoid about sun light of any kind and discloloring/yellowing transformers. I had some in a nice curio cabinent for a while but because it very occasionally got some sun I put them away. I now have a chance to put some in my bedroom on the same wall as the only window and it is solid wood, so basically, no direct sunlight ever, and the shades are usually down so even the ambient light is pretty low most of the time. I'm just scared I'll wake up in 2 years with discolored g1's. Has anyone had any long term displays of their g1's where there was at least some light every day, direct or not? I'm really curious to hear others experiences or opinions before I decide what to do.

Thanks

2. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    anyone have any thoughts about sunlight on g1's?

3. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I have my G1 display running perpendicular to the wall that has the only window in my office. Of course it also helps that when I replaced the windows I got windows that have a UV coating on them.

Overall I haven't had any issues with discoloration on my G1 toys, other than what is already there.

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have mine in my closet and then the other half of my TF collection is in my other closet where my towels etc are at. The GF understands I have no where else to put them to keep them out of the light so I have 3 shelves dedicated to TF's,SW and other stuff. Plus I have only 1 window in my BD and its blacked out so no sunlight can get threw. I have it blacked out cause the sunlight keeps me awake in the morning so really, no sunlight gets to my TF's,SW and other items.

5. Mark94

Mark94 Well-Known Member

If it's not in direct sunlight, don't worry about it. It sounds like you should be fine displaying them.

I haven't had any further yellowing on mine and they are out of direct sunlight.

Mark

6. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, as has been said, as long as there is no direct sunlight, you should be fine.

I used good quality thick curtains in my display room, blocking out the one window that was a problem, my toys still look the same, I've had no issues.

7. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I actually think air quality could have just as much to do with this as Sunlight, but I'm not a Scientist so who knows, but here's where I'm going with it..

In my earlier twenties I lived in a small house with two friends. This was basically a just out of college party house (we graduated and have jobs, but still act like we did in college type house), and more often than not there was some "funny smoke" floating around the house. It wasn't a G1, but I had some weird version of Starscream sitting on top of a book shelf in our living room for about two years. You wouldn't know it unless you looked closely, but the gray definitely changed to almost a grayish cream type color. I've heard similar stories from non-smoked out house too. I really think what's in the air near the figs is almost 50% of most discolorations.

8. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sunlight only needs to be a worry on things that get constant direct light. Black out the window and you should be fine.

9. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    You can by window tinting for your house from Lowes/Home Depot. Once it warms up here I plan on getting some for my display room's one window (can't apply it if the temperature is going to be below 32F three days in a row). The company that makes it is called Gila. They have a black film that is very dark. It should cover your needs.

10. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    sun light is bad lol i put mine away from sun light well direct sun light at least

11. audioinmotionin

audioinmotionin Well-Known Member

fyi on tinting windows.... if you have insulated windows... DON'T TINE THEM
    the tint actually traps in the heat and will destroy to seal that keeps the window insulated, which will in turn make the window fog up and not be insulated anymore.

i have my own window installation business and it actually voids the windows insulation warranty. you can order tinted glass for a few dollars more than the regular glass. plus it is warranteed!