Need new shelves. Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ORIO, Feb 1, 2012.

1. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Moved into a new house and I'm looking to upgrade my shelves. I have two shelves used for my classics figures. One for bots and one for cons. My old shelves are a little too, "college dorm room" looking. I've been looking at these for a long time but I'm very apprehensive about them.

I once had one of my shelves collapse and it made me gasp out loud. So, I want to make sure that whatever I get has the right amount of length and can support the proper weight. Hercules will be going on one of these along with the other classics Cons.

Recommendations on shelves? Preferrably black and bracketless. How do you guys accomodate for weight when putting figures on your shelves?

2. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Go to IKEA. Lots of shelves to choose from. I would recommend a bookshelf. You can buy glass doors for them.

3. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No Ikea here unfortunatley. Probably shouldve mentioned that. Also, has to be shelves. Can't do a display case. Don't have the room at the moment :( 

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hardreturn's shelves are nice floating ones, but i think they're from ikea, could be wrong though

5. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah Ikea "Billy's" are the way to go. I went with the beach sand colored ones but they do a few other colours.... They come in 4 sizes, you can switch out the individual shelves for glass(to improve lighting) and get attachable glass doors(keep the dust off).... But I see you have no ikea

6. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes. Buy a lot of brackets if you plan on having a bunch on one shelf.... and since everyone else threw it in their post.... IKEA....

Corner shelves might be nice too.

7. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy It's pronounced "ribby"

News Credits:
    If you have the prowess you could always make one. I just made a small multi-tiered shelf similar to a bookshelf for displaying some stuff. I already had the tools and between the cost of the wood, nails, glue, and stain it only cost me about ten bucks with the added bonus of multiple tiers, and it looks very nice with the added bonus of not needing to be installed in one wall. Plus it won't be as large as a dedicated display case.

8. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    And a stud finder to really anchor those bitches in good.

Just make sure your brackets are in there really good, if you are using adjustable rails. I have similar shelves in a large storage closet, and those bitches are loaded with hundreds of pounds and had no issues. Just find the studs in the wall and hope the builder was good.

9. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Well in that case the one you linked is nice. Just seems a bit pricy fro what it is. But it is nice.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    A reliable stud finder, leveler, brackets and correct length shelves from Home Depot. When we bought our place one of the first things I did was build the shelves in the loft. Took an afternoon to install. They can hold up a lot of stuff when correctly anchored on the studs.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :useless 

12. silverstreak70

silverstreak70 Well-Known Member

You might check out Target. They sometimes have shelves similar to the ones at Lowe's and depending on location may be on clearance. Like Barrelks said, use a stud finder and secure into them if at all possible. If not, don't go cheap on anchors, get good ones that will help support the weight. The guys at Lowe's or HD should be able to help you out with which ones to use.

13. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I came in here to post them but ya, they're ikea. So nice and easy to put up. TJ has some nice shelves too.

edit: lack shelves

14. ORIO

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Brackets is the way to go huh? Was hoping to avoid them. Just for the sake of it looking a little cleaner.

does Ikea ship to other states? I'm guessing no, because I have friends that drive to Phoenix to shop there.

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i don't like brackets, so i use the rails.
    they are adjustable and you can mix things up for a unique wall display.

(righr now, i am planning to put up a set to display my Helicopter collection, and if i can get a good price, want to use plastic/acrylic/something clear for the shelves.)

at my old place, i had rails to display my TF's on the wall. spaced it out so Ldr Class figs were on the top tier and then voyager, and then still had room for 3-4 shelves for deluxes. had a nice look.

EDIT: This is the shelving i want to use:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/display/shelves?productId=10023095&N=234

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  16. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
  17. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I haven't read the thread but I'm sure many have mentioned IKEA's BILLY Shelf. I personally love the Billy and if you want glass you can buy the door for it. But I think the door is as much or more than the shelf itself.

18. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

ordered shelves from ikea a month ago online 6 shelves and 12 brackets cost me $22 shipped. i dont know the weight on hercules but i would go with brackets as opposed to a floating setup just because of the weight of him and other figures. your best bet would be bookshelves but i can sympathize with space issues.

another option is a track system in that you put up the tracks and place the shelves wherever you want especially as your collection grows. good luck nonetheless

19. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I forgot to mention that Home Depot usually has an assortment of brackets so you can pick a more stylish one if you like.