Need Joecon logistics ASAP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by *Deathblade, Sep 24, 2007.

1. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

I started to ask in the thread already about the joecon..but wanted to make sure this was noticed by atl residents

I know I should be more familiar with this, since I am from GA, and should have asked these qustions sooner, but here we are 2 days before leaving, and I don't how we are going to get from the airport to the hotel...(I have been to the ATL airport many times, and it can be quite overwhelming)

What is the best (safe and cheap) method to get to the hotel? The MC site suggests the Marta...I ASSUME thats some kind of bus system, where is the marta station..? and is it safe? It is cheap I guess, but it is safe?

how far is the hotel from the aquaruim?

The hotel is connected to the undergraound (a mall) but the underground is not the nice one...how far is the nice mall?

Basically I am definitely wanting to get to the nice mall, the aquarium, and maybe... the coca cola builing and stone mountain, (long shot) and weighing whether the costs of renting a car, and hotel storing fees worth it, or is the travel system there convenient (easy to navigate) and cheap (no taxis) enough to where that would be a better option. I know that everything other than stone mountain is within about a 10 mile radius.

I know a few people around here live in ATL, so your suggestions on getting around are greatly appreciated

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    MARTA is a tram-type transit system, not a bus. It is cheap and it's generally safe, particularly if you're with a group. MARTA stations, directions, fares and such are all available at http://www.itsmarta.com/

My wife used to babysit for the Falcons players during their home games, and their staff always took MARTA to the stadium. Other than the occasional wacko, their rides were safe.

Very close--just under a mile. It's actually within walking distance, but I would not recommend walking it unless you're with someone. Too many weirdos and bums walking about in the d'town area. When I was there for Dragon*con and Anime Weekend Atlanta, no less than a dozen homeless people hit me up for money when I was walking to and from my car. And one freak kept pestering me about a helicopter that was bringing in a celebrity. Said he'd be arriving any minute. And then he tried to sell me some Mardi Gras beads. Freakazoid.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "nice" mall. Underground ATL is a pretty cool mall, and it's right next to the Coke museum.

The only other "nice" malls close to that area I guess would be The Mall at Peachtree Center ( http://www.peachtreecenter.com/mall/ ), and the Lenox Square Mall is an upscale mall you can get to within 30 mins via MARTA: http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=207

Don't bother with Stone Mountain. It's not even a legitimate mountain--it's a giant granite rock. I used to work at the park there as an entertainer and while it's a decent family-friendly atmosphere, it's nothing like Six Flags if that's what you're expecting. You can pay the parking fee at the entrance and not even spend another penny, unless you enter the actual park area. It's cheap--a lot of locals get season passes and use the fitness trails. The light show is cool, but I watched it for free sitting a modest distance outside of the park. What the JoeCon organizers are charging attendees for the field trip to Stone Mountain is freaking outrageous. You can get a full season pass for less than what they're charging for that little trip. See for yourself: http://www.stonemountainpark.com/

There are much cooler and fun things to do while your in ATL other than Stone Mt. The Center for Puppetry Arts is awesome, IMO. I'd highly recommend going to a show there or at least visit the museum: http://www.puppet.org/

As far as taxis go, I wouldn't bother. If you have a little distance to travel but it's all in the general d'town area, the bicycle-type taxi things are much less expensive than a taxi and those guys know the d'town area extremely well. I wouldn't bother renting a car either--it is possible to get by without one if you're only in town for the weekend and you're mostly going to be at the con anyway, right?

Also, if you're going to be walking about the d'town area at all, try to have a travel companion that's hopefully going to the same place. Avoid traveling alone! D'town ATL streets can be extremely confusing and it's frighteningly easy to lose your sense of direction very quickly. Ask for a map from the hotel desk, and if you're headed to a specific location, have a hotel clerk give you the most direct route. Also, make sure to ask how to get back too, especially if you're in a vehicle. One-way streets mean having to detour a lot, and they also mean you can't go back the exact same way you came. And parts of d'town are perpetually under construction too.

A few other tips:

- If you're walking in the d'town area, keep your valuables very close to you. Be aware of where your wallet/purse is at all times. Better yet, take your cash/credit cards/ID out of your wallet and put them in a front pocket. Less likely to get lifted that way. And if you bought stuff at the con, keep it secured in your hotel room.

- Print the con schedule out ahead of time and plan your weekend. Sometimes there are overlapping panels, and you have to make a choice IN ADVANCE which is most important to you. Also, if you're planning to visit local stuff, make sure you plan a solid 3-5 hour block of free time that won't conflict with any con events you're interested in.

- Don't buy food or drinks at the con if you can help it. Take a backpack and bring some bottled water, snacks, and foodstuff that gives energy. There are local grocery-type stores in that area that will sell that stuff a helluvalot cheaper than you'll find it at the con. And con food generally sucks. Better yet, stock up on that stuff at Walmart before you leave home.

Hope this helps you plan your weekend. I was hoping to get into the con on general admission, but they are only opening to the public on Saturday and Sunday, while I have only Friday off.

3. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your info man, this was EXACTLY the kind of info I needed. I am from GA, (columbus) but have not been to atlanta (other than the airport) since 1997.

I have also been to stone mountain, and really enjoyed the light show...it would be something cool to do with the wife, but I dont know if we will be able to work that in with the distance....

Not looking forward to the bums and such...of which I am sure there will be many.
    I was referring to lennox mall when I said the nice mall, one of my buddies back home went to the underground before...he didnt really have anything good to say about it...basically it isn't somewhere to take my wife is how he described it.

I have been to 2 botcons, but this will be my first Joecon

Once again thanks, I am sure others will find your info helpful..sorry you can't make it.