Need job advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johnator, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Long story short I was a teacher for 6 years and then recently became an accountant (I have two degrees education and accounting). I have discovered I HATE being an accountant and really need to try something else. I have given accounting a fair shot (half a year) but I honestly cannot stand it and I know my boss can tell. I can't go back to teaching because of the timing of the year right now. What other types of jobs besides being an accountant or auditor could I become? I feel weird asking about it on here but since I spend what little free time I have on here any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

2. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess it depends on what kind of interests you have and what skills besides numbers you have.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    You could always do the substitute teacher thing until a spot opens up. I'm not quite sure how that works where you are, but it's worth a shot.

4. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

Office manager for just about any business that sound interesting to you. Despite the negative stereotype of working in a office, it is actually quite fun. The jobs are not physically demanding and there is often plenty of time to talk to coworkers. Having a degree of any kind will put you on a fast track for manager of just about any store. The bottom line is that very rarely people find a job that they just LOVE. It is called work after all and not leisure or play.

5. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Accounting degree, check.

Teaching degree, check.

Accounting teacher? :D 

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    social worker!

7. 0ptimus__Prime

0ptimus__Prime Autobot Commander

News Credits:
    work for Hasbro and get us some pictures of ROTF figures? *hint hint*

No really it all depends on what you love to do.

If you like working with children, Work at somewhere like a children's libary.
    If you like working with animals work at a vet office or shelter.
    etc.

8. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It depends on your location. I'm lucky enough to have a job that I like that actually utilizes my degree. But in this area, Seattle, it's pretty easy to get a game testing job that pays pretty well for a short time if you just need something to fall back on for a little while.

9. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I would be surprised that in this age of teacher shortages that a certified teacher with experience and a degree could not go back to teaching.

There is subbing, and longtime subs, and people retire and go on maternity leave at all times of the year. So If you *NEEDED* a job and *WANTED* to teach, I am pretty sure you could easily find employment in most areas of the US.

With a double degree and work experience in those two industries, unless you had a passion for 'something' you are going to be due for disappointment as pretty much any and every job you may want you will either be unqualified for or will be a step down professionally from teaching/accounting.

Have you considered teaching college-level courses? Most college professors are not educated formally as teachers so an accounting major with a teaching degree would be a good fit for many schools. Teaching math and accounting is a niche market which might be good. And semesters start up much more frequently than public schools.

10. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

There is often a great demand for substitute teachers or professional instructors at tutoring companies. At the latter, you might teach classes like SAT preparation, math, etc. Not exactly exciting work, but it'll get you fed.

I know this sounds counter-productive, but you might want to try volunteering. You won't get paid, of course, but it'll be a quick way to meet similar-minded individuals who might be able to help you out.

11. Johnator

Thank you for the replies. Unfortunately in the state (Indiana) I am in teachers have somewhat of a hard time finding a job especially this time of year. I can substitute but the pay is not so good. I will look into the college level teaching. Maybe that would pan out.

12. Johnator

Do you have any recommendations of what types of places I should look into? I think I would like something like this.

13. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Tutor! If you like teaching, offer up your services as a tutor until something else opens up. Personally, I prefer teaching one on one as opposed to teaching a class.

14. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

No, not specifically. I just know that almost every business needs an office manager - from a tire store to a Doctor's office to a minor league baseball team. They make sure the bills are paid, there is paper for the copier and there is a party for birthdays. Your degrees seem to lend themselves very well to that type of work.

You would probably have to begin as an entry-level employee answering phones or sorting mail. Just check want ads in the paper or online. Or, you could take a different approach and find a company that you want to work for and approach them directly about working for them in any capacity. Let them know, with a cover letter and resume and in person, how much you want to work for them. Temp work and volunteering/interning are also good ways to get in at a company.

15. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I got my bachelor's in accounting, did that for a year. went into teaching and love it, you should have never gotten out of teaching. I have been going on 10 yrs now. Got my master's in education. so there is no going back for me. There are always openings in January in teaching due to teachers retiring n stuff.

16. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

The way things are right now if you HAVE a job DON'T QUIT!

17. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    You should still apply anyway, and sign up to be a sub as quickly as possible to get your foot in the door.

The school my wife works at has at least 3 teaching positions that will be open in the next semester because the teachers are moving elsewhere during Christmas break. Don't assume just because it's the middle of the school year that there aren't any positions currently available or might become available in the near future.

I was an Accounting major my first year of college and I hated it, mainly because I suck so bad at math. And then I was diagnosed with dyslexia and it made more sense why I sucked so bad at math *and* Accounting.

18. Johnator

Man I wished I lived near you! :) 

19. Johnator

Great info. Thanks. I honestly don't know if I have the time to work from the ground up as it were. Money is tight as it is with a mortage, college loans, etc. etc. I might not have a choice though.