Need ideas for displaying my G1s

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by spadesss, Feb 22, 2007.

1. spadesss

spadesss Well-Known Member

I am looking into making/buying/custom made display cases for my G1 collection.
    I am a long way from finishing the collection and not yet bought my mansion with a tennis court in the back yard.
    But I figured its never too early to start planning or looking into ideas and concepts.

I can easily put 2 x 4 s up and display them but it would get dusty. So I them enclose behind something. This would also prevent other people from touching them. I would prefer plastic over glass so its not so heavy.
    The combiners are pretty big and the mini vehicles are small so I would love to get something where the height can be alter depending on the situation.

So, does anyone have any ideas for this.
    Do's and Don't s???
    What wood to buy or avoid using.
    Any specific member's collection I should look at?

I welcome and appreciate all responses.
    And I am filthy poor so please don't direct me to those thousand dollar displays they have in department stores.

2. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'm not sure how handy you are, but you could come up some pretty slick and simple designs with wood and plexiglas from Lowe's. What kind of price range are you looking at? And, how many figs do you have and how much space would you need to house all of them plus any that you plan to get in the reasonably near future?

3. spadesss

How many figs?
    The goal is to have at least all the G1s from 84-86.
    Anything extra beyond that is nice but I am guning for all the stuff from the 1st 3 years.

Space?
    I am hoping to buy a place with an extra room for just me.
    If that fails, I will need 2 walls for the figures, the wife says.
    If that fails...beg the wife like Starscream begs Megatron and ask for more room some how.

$$$.
    This is the only hobby I got that requires spending money so the wife isn't too hard on me, yet.
    I got an average paying job.
    To save money...I figured any future kids can have 2 meals instead of 3.
    No new clothes, never eat out, no entertainment, don't go out to the movies (except spiderman 3, the TF movie, the rest I can rent, maybe), no more vacations, get the wife a 2nd and 3rd job.
    I am not sure how much an average collector spends so, if it looks nice, I guessed I will have to spend money on it. I have gone this far, why display it on a piece of crap right?

I am ok with tools. Get my bro to help!
    Does plexiglass required power tool to cut? Please do tell me more on this. Thanks.

4. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Whether you buy or make a display case/curio...make sure it seals 100% when closed...if there is any gap where the door closes you will eventually get dust inside the cabinet...and to tell you from experience it's a pain in the butt to dust the inside...it requires you to completely remove your TF's...plus having to dust them also...which defeats the purpose anyway...

So that is my input...make sure it seals well...

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

I always had the idea, if I had the space, of doing a glass case in the middle of the room, with various scenes similar to the Movie done up. I.E. the massive battle on Autobot city, with carbord, styrophom, etc. used to make the set.

...if you've got a lot of time and boredom go for it.

6. spadesss

i was thinking red velvet for the base. or black maybe.
    tacky? cheesy?
    it with be a good cushioning thing right? not that the figs need it. figured it will make the figures stand out more?
    the only thing is that any dust or hair will show up and be really noticeable.

7. spadesss

this sealing part can be tricky and a pain in the butt.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I'd say some type of black covering, if any at all. I think red would clash with/detract from the the figs themselves. Either way, I agree that any dust that gets in there will be readily apparent, especially on black.

I have a separate room in my house for my toys. The door stays shut 100% of the time, and very little dust accumulates in there (haven't had to dust the TFs, ever, and they've been in there for 3 years). I have most of my figs displayed on wooden wall mounted shelves without any form of dust sheilding or sealing. Glass or clear plastic doors, of some sort, and mirror backgrounds might look cool.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Try looking through the collections in the Showcase forum, there's tons of different set ups in there.

10. spadesss

i been lurking around in the showcase.
    just don't have all the time to look at everyone of them.

well, i do know that i want them to be seal and free of dust.

Question.
    Are spot lights lights a good idea? the ones that setup to shine down on the toys.
    is it BAD for the toys, like sunlight beaming down on paper?

11. spadesss

is there like a top 10 showcase or voted best?
    i don't the time to go through them all.