Customs: Need help working on Alt Shockwave

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by REDLINE, Dec 21, 2005.

1. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, I've been wanting to add a light to both Shockwave's gunhand and his eye every since the alt came out. I even bought two of them just for this fact. I am just now getting started on it thanks to Squall's suggestion about those Target giftcards. The led's in this thing are tiny, there are two lights, and the wires are nice and really thin.

My concerns are twofold. First, I don't want to hide all of the wire from the arm. I want to have it hidden only partway up the forearm piece, and have it come out a hole into a small rubber tube to hommage the original G1 Shockwave. I have no idea where a good place to find one of these... I looked at the Lowe's I work at, they have cut-to-length tubing, but the smallest diameter they carry is 1/4 inch and that's way too big! I need a piece of black tubing that is probably 6 inches or so long, and about the same diameter actually that the oringal toy used. After I find it, I have to figure out how to get such tiny flimsy wire to go through the tube cause I'd really prefer to avoid having to split the thing, cause it wouldn't look nearly as nice!

The second problem is I want to separate the head, drill into the lightpiping for the second light to shine through his eye, but the head is mounted on a ball joint, so there's no way to hide the wire. The best I can think of is to have the wire exit the bottom of the head JUST behind that ball, so that only a fraction of an inch is exposed, and have enough slack in it that you can still rotate the head fully.

Can anyone help me out?

Andy

2. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well...as far as the tubing goes...one thing that you can do would be to get real thin Aquarium Tubing and paint it black. I know they come in plenty of sizes, and they start clear, so they should be real easy to paint.

I imagine you could get the stuff at any place that carries fish...I think most Walmarts do...

As far as the light, I'm working on the same situation on my Shackwave, but I haven't had any luck yet. I will keep you posted though if I come up with anything.

3. REDLINE

News Credits:
    that's actually a sweet idea, dunno why I didn't think of that! my only concern there is if I remember correctly (I've not had an active aquarium in almost 3 years) aren't those tube pretty stiff? would make it a pain during transformation if its too stiff, and would naturally add tension to where the tube is attached to the arm

Andy

4. REDLINE

News Credits:
    wow I really expected to get more help that just a single person's reply :( 

Andy

5. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Ok here we go tubing get it at a radio shack they sell it there or any electronics type place as for the LED in the head that ball socket is hollow drill a small hole thru it and run a thin wire thru

6. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Wait, what target giftcards???

7. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

the ones witht he leds I think they have ones with reindeers and others

8. REDLINE

News Credits:
    thanks JE! yeah, Wreckgar, go to Target. they have in addition to regular gift cards, a couple that light up. I got the Snowman one cause it has white LEDs (2). there's also a rudolph with a single red one... its thicker than a regular card, but the lights are tiny, it has a thin tiny board with 3 button cells and a thin push button... push it and the lights shine for 5 seconds! yeah! and I didn't realize the ballsocket was hollow. awesome!

Andy

9. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Hey, for the tubing you can try an eletrical supply store for some "thin" wiring, like 16 to 20 gauge or so, which if you carefully pull the wires out of it might work for you.