Need Help with Wireless Internet and Wii/PS3.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Megatronwp38, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Hello All,

I am in some need of help with my PS3/Wii/Laptop and connecting to my wireless network. I have a Belkin N router and it is set to all defaults and I currently have the security off, because that is the only way the Wii/PS3 will connect.

Now, they all connect this way, however when the laptop is connected as well as the Wii or PS3 the systems will not work. As soon as I turn off the laptop, they work. Now the PS3 and Wii can both be connected at the same time. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks
    Fred

PS im at work so if you need more FYI I will have to wait until I get home.

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Try changing the channel on the router, preferably to 11 for the Wii.

3. Megatronwp38

I think I do have it on channel 11. It seems the laptop interrupts the signal to the PS3 and Wii.

4. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    just to check - are you saying that when your laptop is connected, neither your wii nor your ps3 can connect?

can you check to see how your laptop is configured for IP address? DHCP enabled? etc?

It's likely that your laptop is grabbing the IP for the systems.

5. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    Agreed. In your routers setting you can allow X number of DHCP users or leases at one time so if you are only allowing 2, then they are all competing for each other and your computer will win out of three. Also it would be a good idea to enable WPA-PSK security on your router and connect your devices securely. Otherwise you could be transmitting some wonderful information to various packet sniffers, etc. as well others could be using your internet without your knowledge.

6. Megatronwp38

right i had the security on but with that on the Wii never connects. i always get the same error that has to do with security incompatibility. how do i check to see if it allows more then one ?

7. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Please delete.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  8. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I couldn't use security with the PS3 when I first got it. It wouldn't even connect with ethernet until I turned wireless security off. I ended up having to buy a new router even though everything else worked 100% perfect with the old router, including the Wii.

9. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    You'll probably want to check the vendor's website, they should have a FAQ/user guide for doing stuff like this.