Need Help with which version of Windows to get: Upgrading from XP to 7

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kuma Style, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What the title says. I've held onto XP for some time now because I had learned how to make themes for it, and enjoy doing that kind of stuff with UIs, but I'm 32 bit, and with my computer's specs, I've needed a 64 bit windows for some time, so I've decided to just upgrade to Windows 7 instead.

I'm looking though, and I see some different versions, so I'm wondering which I need to get:

Windows 7 Pro Upgrade

Windows 7 Pro Complete Package

Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade

Windows 7 Ultimate Complete

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade

Windows 7 Home Premium Complete

Looking at what I'm wanting to do, which is higher-end gaming, and photography/graphic work, Windows Home Premimum even would be fine, but I'm open to suggestions. I'd also like to know what the difference is between the upgrade and complete package is. Will each upgrade me from XP?

If anyone could help, that'd be great.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

- Complete is a standard copy that installs by itself, upgrade will only install if you've got XP or Vista already.

- The advantage of the standard copy is that you don't have to arse around with XP when you have to reinstall it and you'll be able to transfer it to your next computer reguardless of what licence you have for XP. The disadvantage is obviously the extra cost.

- Home Premium is the edition your looking for.

- MS's advice and instructions on the topic - Upgrade to Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows

- Keep in mind that Windows 8 is due by the end of the year, so you might want to wait for that before you hand over your $100+. The catch is that it doesen't look like they'll be upgrade options for anything other then 7, so you'll probably have to fork out for a full copy whether you like it or not.

3. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If your looking to upgrade asap then I agree with the post above me, go with Home Premium. But you should also think in the long run about Windows 8. I picked up a Vista operated laptop a month or so before 7 came out.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    A trick with the Upgrade versions is that you can still do a clean install.
    All you have to do is insert your XP disc during the the upgrade.

With Windows 8 right around the corner you may want to just use the Consumer Eval Version of Windows 8 until the retail release.

5. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Yea. I'm literally getting even more upgrades (new graphics card, more ram) in the mail tomorrow, so once Botcon's done, and I have a chance to sit down with it, I'd like to get things up and running the second I get back. With work, I get a nice discount on Home Premium, so I'm thinking I'll just do the upgrade version of that.

Now, by "clean install", does that mean anything data-wise is wiped from my comp.?

6. Zathras

Zathras Vive le Quebec Libre

Clean install means you are wiping the hard drive of the original OS and all other content before doing the new install.

A clean install is recommended IMO. backup all your data and make sure you have the disks to the software you'll want to re-install. compatibility isue might arise with older software.

Also, since you mention getting more RAM, make sure your motherboard and CPU support 64bit and get the x64 version of Win7, the 32 bit version of windows limit the amount of RAM that's recognize to 3.2 GB

7. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes, this exactly.

And since VLC Player has cleaned up their 64-bit issues I've never regretted going 64-bit.

Windows Enterprise software is currently only available in 64-bit.

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Yea, my CPU already supports and is recommended for 64 bit windows. It's a AMD Phenom II x 4 with 16 GB of RAM. Just expanding it to 24 GB of ram.

And, that's just it. A friend of mine who works at a PC repair shop looked at my specs, and that I was running 32 bit, and basically gave me a 15 minute rendition of "What the fuck is wrong with you?"... so yea, time to upgrade.

Sucks about having to do a completely clean install. That annoys me I think I'll just buy a new HDD and install it onto that.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  9. Zathras

going from 32 bit to 64 bit, a clean install is not optional
    you wouldnt be able to upgrade from WinXP 32 to win 7 64 anyways.

10. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    No offense, but please tell me what I need to do then.

11. Zathras

I'd get a copy of Home premium complete as you wont be able to use the upgrade version to go from a 32 bit OS to 64 bit OS.

Backup all your important data either on a thumb drive or a external hdd. Survey which software you currently have installed on the pc and see if they can run on win7 64 bit. Best to have the CD's for the legit softwares and for those who may not be legit, have the image files or know where to get them (i recommend getting them, if you need to before switching OS to save time)

After that, you mentioned getting a new hard drive... in that case, just put it in, put in the windows cd and let the install run. If you choose the use the existing HD, you will be asked to format the drive, do so and complete the installation.

Either way, you'll have a clean install of Win7.

Also when backing stuff up... if you use an email client (for exemple Outlook), dont forget to back up your emails and make sure you know your email settings (pop server, smtp server, username / password) , again saving time. You'll need the info to re-create the account on the new OS.

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    something else to consider, I'm not sure if they still have the home premium upgrade family pack as well. I got this about a year or so ago. It was around the same price as a standalone, but with 3x upgrade licenses. Worked out great cause I was able to do my machine, the wife's laptop, and still have another license key if I need it for anything in the future. pretty damn good deal for the asking price, but again I'm not sure if M$ offers it anymore.

13. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Perfect, thanks.

My other question would be, if you don't mind... I can just use the hard drive that I'm not using as a file-save for my current files, right?

14. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Yes.
    If it's set up internal just make sure you are installing on the blank HDD -setup will warn you if you are going to overwrite the wrong drive.

Or, if you want to, you can buy an enclosure and just use that as an external backup drive and transfer files to and from it when you need to.

I think you could buy the 64-bit Upgrade version and still do clean install with the 32-bit XP disc as a file verification, but I'm not certain and I don't have the means to test. It's probably best to buy the full version.

15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Yea, I'm willing to go ahead and just buy the full version. It'll be nice to have the complte disc for whatever reasons.

I normally run with two HDDs: One for windows, and one for files. I just needed to get my PC back last time the hdds crashed, and never got a second one. So, what I'm going to do, is just remove this one completely, install the new HDD, install windows fresh, and then reinstall this HDD as a second drive, and delete the windows files.

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I've got a copy of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview version on my desk.
    I can bring it to you on Friday if you just wanted to load it up and see what it's about.

17. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Sure man, since we'll both be there. What is the Consumer preview though?

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It's pretty close to the final build of the OS; some features are absent, others are locked, and the license has a timed expiration.

It's lets you play around with the OS to see if you like it and also to give Microsoft feedback before they go to retail with it.

19. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    FINALLY went ahead and got everything all purchased and installed tonight. I ended up just going with the full home premium disc. Sucked, because I ended up having to buy an external HDD to backup my HDD for clean install, so it went up to a $300 purchase just to get this started.

Then, it didn't recognize my Ethernet adapter, so I had to end up downloading that driver exe on my phone and transferring it to the PC.

Overall though, well worth the upgrade, especially to 64 bit. This thing literally zips, and I really appreciate all of you guys' help, because I had no idea where to go with all of the different versions.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    How do you find it? I didn't have a decent rig to put it on but I liked what I saw on my (really old) bare bones machine.