Customs: Need help with supplies to buy for a really small project.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Kuma Style, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    This is something that's like, extremely small, but, basically, I pulled out the extra faces on my TFX-03 upgrade set, and one of the eyes' paint had apparantely rubbed off or something on the masked face. So, I just need that painted back over, bc I want to use it for D.I.A. commander, since I want it to rep. Prime. It looks great, but, well... it has one eye, lol.

Anyways, I've gotta' go to walmart tonight, so if anyone could direct me towards what kind of paint to buy, maybe a particular brush to use, etc. etc., that'd be great!

It's so small that I think even I could handle it, but, I'd liek to do it right.

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Wal-Mart doesn't carry the right kind of paint that you would need. The only kind of paints they carry are rattle cans and craft paint.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

If it's just a case of repainting on the face, I see no reason why the craft paints in Wal-Mart wouldn't be any use. The majority of the paints I use are cheap acrylic craft paints (from Inscribe, which I've had for the best part of ten years; they came in 59ml bottles at 99p each), and I love 'em. But brands do vary, so it's entirely possible that the ones you have there aren't much cop, though they're probably cheap enough that it's worth a shot. I've found that the quality of paints isn't necessarily distinguishable by price.

Brushes, however, you really don't want to skimp on. For painting large areas, you don't really need to worry about the quality of the brush. But for detail work, you'll need something good; you're probably best looking at sizes 0 and smaller (I don't really pay much attention to brush sizes, to be honest, I just get what looks the right size :p ), and preferably sable, or at least a sable/nylon mix. If you take good care of brushes like that, they'll serve you well for a fair while, and put the paint where you want it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    The paints that Wal-Mart carry are really cheap, both in price and quality. They flake like no tomorrow, when I first start customizing, I tried using those and I had more headache using them. They go on horribly thick, you can see the brush strokes in them, and again, they flake like crazy.

I'm just passing on my past experiences with them.

5. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Guys, I also have access to hobby lobby, Michaels, and all of that, and can visit any of those tomorrow. So, if Walmart doesn't have what I need, that's more than ok. It was just convenient because I was going tonight.

So, just let me know what I need, and, if I can get it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. :) 

I appreciate you guys' help.

6. Overhaulimus

News Credits:
    Go to Hobby Lobby and look into Model Master's paint, it will be in the model section, obviously.

I just got me a few bottles to try it out, it's not as good as Tamiya acrylics, but it's pretty good none the less.

7. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Ok, and any suggestions on brushes?

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Fair enough. Presumably they go on thickly out of the bottle (and visible brush strokes are bound to occur from that), but what are they like if you thin them down a little?
    Not suggesting you're wrong, but two-thirds (if not three-thirds) of the issues you've mentioned ought to be easily solvable with the addition of a little water; I find the best consistency to use (most of the time) is that of single cream, liquid enough to flow well, but still thick enough that it'll stay where you put it.

That said, I do know that some brands just aren't as good, but even then, quality can be variable from colour to colour.
    I have a grand total of four craft paints from Anita's, IIRC; Black, Charcoal, Wine Red and Titanium Gold. The first three of these are, in my experience, awful. Straight out the bottle they're a little thick, but whether diluted or not, I've found them to go on pretty unevenly, and the adhesion is next to non-existent. I love the colour of the red, though, when I have been able to get it to stick.
    On the other hand, the Titanium Gold I love to bits. Again, it's fairly thick in the bottle (I have had it for several years, though), but add a little water and it goes down beautifully, and the colour is stunning (a really nice pale gold). I'm actually using it at the moment on a 'bash of the Renegade Stinger. :) 

For the record, I will recommend (assuming they're easily available in your area) Vallejo acrylics; Game Color and Model Color. They have excellent consistency, adhesion and coverage, and come in a squeezy bottle with a little nozzle allowing you to squeeze out a drop at a time onto your pallette. Many of them also smell gorgeous, with a nice citrus-y aroma. Not that I'm encouraging paint-sniffing, except that in this case I clearly am. :p 

As I said, go for sable bristles if you can, or at least a sable/nylon mix, as they'll hold their shape much more readily than cheap nylon brushes (as long as you look after them). This is important if you don't want stray bristles sticking out putting paint where you don't want it. You can judge the sizes you want by eye easily enough, but for detail work you'll probably be looking for 0 at the largest. Smaller brushes are labelled with more zeros.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I'd suggest Hobby Lobby, since that's nearby for you. They carry model paints that will work better than the craft paint. BUT, I will say that I've used the craft paints from Wal-Mart with some success if you thin them and do a coat of future over them. I do, however, suggest model paints more though.

As for brushes, I've used some from Wal-Mart by Robert Simmons (#0), I believe, for most of my detailing and small parts. I've also used other brushes from Wal-Mart (not those cheap "value pack" type that has 12 or more brushes), but some of the 1-3 packs. They used to have those (like the Robert Simmons brushes) that are single brushes for sale. They work great as long as you thin your paints and do light coats.

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought you were sending me this thing to paint up for ya?? :(  My feelings are now hurteded.. Kidding, it's ok, but for what you are doing I would definitely go to hobby lobby and start there. Take the piece with you, and see if you can find a blue that matches close enough to what you want to have, and get yourself a small, nice brush, something that can last you for ever when taken care of. I'm talking at LEAST a $7 brush. I wouldn't go any less than that myself. I use an 18/0 Loew-Cornell liner brush for super fine details. Hope that helps man :thumb 

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Simmons synthetic brushes are really nice for the price and in some instances way better then sable surprisingly (still my go to inking brush).

Hit up hobby lobbies site and Michaels site for 25 to 40 percent off coupns too and take a buddy to get more deals.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Craft paint + Future solves some issues as well :)