Need help with some tires...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lupis Convoy, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey guys, I've got to replace some tires on my car, and my co-worker has some that she's willing to give me.. but I have a problem... I know next to nothing about cars.

They ones she has are P215/55-r16, and from what I can tell the standard on mine is P205/55-r16.

Would there be a problem for me to use a P215? She's going to sell me a set of 4 that have 300 miles on them for only $25. I can't let this deal get away if I can score them, as I probably have a huge auto repair bill after Botcon... we kind of went off a bit of a drop on Mount Washington and it scraped up my car pretty bad. lol Just another one of those "No shit... guess what happened on our trip to Botcon...." stories.

Anyway, thanks for the input!

2. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Do they have rims, or is it just the rubber?

3. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Good Question.. I'm guessing it has the rims... I was told I could just toss them on. Damn putting them on the rims could be a massive pain eh?

4. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    The difference between 205 and 215 there is, the 215s are 10 millimeters larger from sidewall to sidewall. Tires are flexible, so you should be able to shoehorn it on, but it will make your new tire a little taller (if you throw it on stock rims), and throw your speedo out of whack by a little. Also, if your car's lowered or anything, you've got to be careful about tire size, or you could rub against the fender when you compress the suspension or turn too hard. If your car's not lowered, it's less of a prob.

Also, if it does come with the rims, you want to be sure the bolt pattern (to bolt it to the wheel hubs) matches your car's, and offset (distance between wheel hub and wheel centerline) comes very close to your stock.

I used this when I was trying to find cheap tires for one of my old cars:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

5. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I'm gonna assume that for $25 there's no way in hell you're getting rims with that. however like said above, the extra width isn't much of a biggie, so you should be just fine throwing on slightly wider tires on your current wheels. the only thing is that when turning your car in a full steering wheel lock, say to get into a tight parking space, the tires may rub a bit on the inside of the wheel well. but it's not a big deal, but something that you may hear.

6. Driftbot

Driftbot Well-Known Member

i agree that for $25, you most likely will not be getting wheels. just tires.
    that means you will need a shop to mount/balance all 4 of your tires, and you will be paying a disposal fee for the old tires, unless you keep them.
    so at about $15x4 for the mount/balance, +$10x4 for disposal fee...

but that is a great deal on the tires. you are still going to save way more doing it this way than just buying new ones.

dont worry about the size difference. 10mm wider is nothing. think about a 9mm bullet. not very thick, is it? my car (94 nissan silvia/240sx) has the same size tires as yours from the factory. know what size is on there now? 225/40/18 front, 245/40/18 rear. plus my car is slammed down really low. sure it rubs a little, but hey... rubbin is lovin... :p 

you should be fine. go for it, thats a really good deal.