Customs: Need help with removing pins

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Red Snarl, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Red Snarl

Red Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm having trouble removing the pins in classics grimlocks arms. I got the dino feet out but the pin that go through his fists are proving impossible to get out. I've tried knocking them out from both sides with a small screwdriver and a hammer but I'm only putting dents in them. Any suggestions on making them easier to remove or is there a special tool that will help with them?

2. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    try heating the pins up with a soldering iron
    i struggled for hours on him, i gave up in the end.
    the original classics figures were known to have pins that just dont want to budge, i struggled on megatron for months before quitting

3. Red Snarl

Red Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there even a soldering iron small enough for that?

4. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my guess is youd need to be VERY careful with a fine tip
    i saw a guy do it to remove the tiny dots on motherboards, but my hand isnt that steady

otherwise id say mask what you dont want painted an work around it

5. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    try looking for a tool called a pin punch.

thats what i use but its still difficult as they are built to keep the pins in.

even so sometimes brute force and ignorace is still needed! just make sure the tool is set directly on top of the pin and you should have some joy and hope this helps

6. gestalt

gestalt Well-Known Member

If you're brave enough, you could try your oven. You have to be careful though, because it could ruin your figure.

Preheat your oven to 200°C Fahrenheit and put your piece in for 3-5 minutes. After that you should be able to wiggle/pull out the pin using pliers. This worked for me.

Don't take your eyes of the plastic while it's in the oven.
    If you leave it in for too long your figure will start to deform.

If you have a soldering iron, I'd recommend using that though.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I use one of these:

[​IMG]

I works for most things. You can find one at your local Lowe's, Home Depot, or hardware store around $10-12 or so.

Attached Files:

• 77L.jpg
      77L.jpg
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
  8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Not sure if I'd go the oven route (you have brass balls for that, btw, gestalt--lol). But I use an old jeweler's set of screwdrivers (some of them are very small) to help get the smaller pins out. For the medium to large pins (the sizes found in most deluxe car wheels up to those found on Alternators), I usually use a cheap soldering iron I picked up at Wal-Mart for about $9 and change.

I just used it tonight to swap the wheels on my Universe Swindle WIP (swapped the wheels with Energon Sledge to give Swindle some slightly larger wheels and to look more like old school Jeep tires--not exact, but it works). I should have shots up sometime tonight or tomorrow. This same method can work with the type of pins you're talking about--you'd just need to use the fine tip and be very careful. Those suckers get VERY hot and can not only melt the plastic around the pin, but they can also slip and take out other plastic parts/areas or burn you.

9. hailstarscream

hailstarscream UNICRONIAN

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I usually use a nail cut and flattened. but try heating it with a soldering iron a weller from home depot works(bout $18). it has a very pointy tip like the pin punch. hold it there for more than a minute and it should soften up, after that try the pin punch/flattened nail. your choice good luck