Customs: Need help with my MOD's!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NEST SOLDIER, Dec 12, 2011.

1. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

I wanted to seek the advise of those of you who have experience in painting TF figures, as I recently attempted my first MOD, and it ended in disaster.

Simply put, after painting the figure, and then applying a clear coat, the paint either chipped and flaked off, or would rub off. The figure that I attempted this on was ROTF Leader Optimus.

I used model masters paint, that I applied using hobby brushes. As I began small by highlighting certain areas, then painting the gray sections silver chrome trim.

The figure looked good overall, but the disgusting way the paint continued to come off was dissappointing. Any advise or help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    My advice would be to wash the figure/parts in soap and water or at least wipe him down good with some alcohol to help remove oils from the mold release. Once you do that, let it all dry and my next suggestion would be to prime your figure/parts before painting. That should help the paint to adhere to the primed area and not have that rub off like you mentioned. Once it's all primed and ready, paint it up, let it all dry, then go over it with a coat of Future or your choice of clear coat.

Good luck and I hope you can fix it and learn from it all (it's the best way--learn from any mistakes and apply it to another custom--eventually, you'll get the hang of it all and it will turn out much better for you).

3. NEST SOLDIER

Hey man, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I really wanted this figure to turn out much better than it did. I'm just gonna take what you said, and put it to use! Merry Christmas.:thumbs2: 

4. NexMortuus

NexMortuus Well-Known Member

well one of the reasons y the paint started to chip is because the paint used and the clear coat you used may have been different. How well lets say you used enamel paint and you used an acrylic clear coat, that would cause the paint to chip it has happened to me when i did not understand painting and i was told by a painter and model maker that he uses a universal clearcoat. obviously you have to read the back of the can or bottle you are purchasing to know what it is. If it says acrylic clear coat, or enamel clear coat, or just clear coat it self and that would state the uses for it. Another reason y the paint chipped was because you may have not cleaned the toy before customizing it cleaning and removing the oils the toy has gathered from play or human touch could help make the paint stick better. Also you may have touched or transformed the figure before paint sealed. Acrylics dry faster than enamel and i think laquers and enamels both dry time is the same. For fully dry figs wait about a week after clear coated and just to be on the save side wait another i do. Excesive paint on tight close joints will chip. best way around that would be either sand down a bit the corner and airbrush.

5. NEST SOLDIER

Awesome dude, thanks for the help!

6. NexMortuus

NexMortuus Well-Known Member

no problem man