Fan Art: need help with movie style transformer

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by StefanXPrime, May 11, 2007.

1. StefanXPrime

StefanXPrime Hater of all things G1

I want to make a movie style character from a 08 dodge challenger .Since I can't really figure out where most of the car parts go on bots like bumblebee i'm having trouble starting my own. I'm open to all suggestions because I'm completely lost.
    here is what it the alt mode looks like.
    [​IMG]

2. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Okay so heres some important factors Ive tooken into account, no matter what part it is, it can bend or so from what weve seen from the movie. Second, if its a car most of my drawings involve the torso/pelvic region as a split apart transmission.

Some other cool ideas...no matter what the tire, be creative, joints, gunz, feet. No matter what the part as long as it looks like it functions as a body part, then it fits in with the movie aesthetic.

Oh and one more thing, windows etc become see-through targeting screens ,arbitrary wings, and cool looking panels on the chest or by the neck.

3. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

That would make a good Cliffjumper to go with Bumblebee.

4. StefanXPrime

i think i know how to make the legs I'll make the panel behind the door be the hips and the tires will be the knees and the calf region will come from the trunk

5. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Agreed

6. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    True.

7. prime_force

prime_force Prime Force Art

I recently got the movie ironhide toy (which i may build in 3d soon). Getting a toy or studying some of the pics of the toys can help give you ideas e.g. some parts of ur transformation can be like bumblebee maybe few other parts like ironhide etc. The toys will mainly help giv u ideas of where to place joints and how many ways you could twist and turn those joints or hide the arms etc. They have certainly helped me in the past.

8. MythofBlackout

MythofBlackout TF Fan Artist

News Credits:
    Dude! I was so going to use the '08 challenger for a fan-made Cliffjumper design. If you go that route, I'd suggest copying Bumblebee's design as a starting point and beginning to modify the design from there to make it more distinct. If you go with a new character, then I'd suggest figuring out the basic transformation scheme first. That's what I did with my (unfortunately still unfinished) movie Wheeljack design. Once you figure out where all the parts go you'll need to mold them to fit around the different parts of the internal frame or split them into pieces to allow for a greater range of movement. It can help to have a little knowledge of human anatomy so you know how things shift when an arm or a leg moves. Feel free to post pics as the design is progressing if you want more help or drop my a line via DeviantArt, if you have an account there. I'd love to help out.

9. StefanXPrime

I was goint to try and base some things off of bumble bee but his design is so confusing that I don't know where to start. Like obviously the grill/front bumber is the chest, and I think the hands come from be hind the grill but where do the arms come from if the doors go on his back?

10. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:

His arms come from the doors and the back wheel assembly, thats where youll notice the breakpad on his arms.

The problem is in the movie, they "stuff" things inside the car panels and tires to come out when transforming, wich makes it hard to decifer where most of them come from. But Ive almost goten BB's transformation down pat.

11. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:
    hey man I remember your drawing you had before, it was good

but yeah studying pictures of the new transformers will help you out a lot. The key is to make sure certain aspects of the car can still be noticeable in the robot mode. Also try to keep away from using the whole front end as his chest, because it'll look too much like an alternator that way, try splitting the front end and possibly bring the windows down to make the chest or something like that. Have fun with your design it should look really sweet though!

12. StefanXPrime

I'm going to try to start it today if I have any free time.

13. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    I actually just finished a pic a while ago of a transformer, kind of like BB but a little different coloring and parts here check it out, you may get some ideas!

[​IMG]

14. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    try just doing a 100% straight copy of bumblebee first, as your car doesn't look too far off the old camaro anyway.. that shoud give you an idea of how much of what goes where

15. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    also that isn't different colouring to bumblebee... THIS is different colouring to bumblbee :) 

[​IMG]

16. Prowler974a

Prowler974a Well-Known Member

I did my own version of that car, I used some of the movie elements and mixed in with my style, didnt do a complete movie style. If you want to do a movie style bot. think segments, lots of segments. Break up parts that you would never think of braeking up before, like split up car doors. Invert the fenders. Break up the fenders, stuff like that. It takes time, but every movement every step has to be logical. And show lots of exposed moving parts, like pistons, cables, wiring and all that.

Heres my version if it helps you with any ideas

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/45416644/?qo=2&q=by%3Aprowler974&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

17. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

Give him a blue head and you've got Goldbug! :drunk 

18. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I'm going to suggest something a bit backwards from the other guys. Get an idea, first, of how you want the overall character to look. Built like a brick with wide shoulders like Ironhide? Brutish and hunchbacked like Bonecrusher? Lithe and agile like Jazz? From there, start assigning car parts.

19. StefanXPrime

thanks for the help guys, prowler that was a really cool pic. OmegaVPrime that's a good drawing too.Im sorry for not having any updates on my drawing ,this week has been hectic I've got finals next week so I have no free time I should hopefully have a pic up by late friday or at like 12 on saturday.

20. OmegaVPrime

Ebay:
    Na, mine is a little darker compared to his, trust me.

Anyways you didnt do my pic justice...you made him fruity =[ He looks like a peice of buble gum lol