need help with flea problem. (new puppy)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kronos, Oct 3, 2009.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Ok, so i just got a new puppy and secame bearing gifts. Unwelcome gifts at that. I dipped both my dogs and cat but im finding the lil bastards all over my house and its getting worse. Does anyone have any advice to get rid of them. Besides a exterminator. I actualy saw a small sore on my white chiuauah. Any help is urgently needed and appretciated.

2. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Diatomaceous earth worked into the carpet and dusted all over their bedding helps. Cuts the little bastards up, isn't toxic, and will keep killing and killing. It does take a couple weeks to get rid of them entirely, tho.

Or you could go with toxic sprays or powders that you get at the pet store. Worse comes to worse, shampoo the animals then take them for a ride while you (bug) bomb the house.

--Moony

3. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ............shave it?

4. Deathnoble

Deathnoble Aristocratic Assassin

Bug bomb the car the day before. It is entirely possible for fleas to infest a regularly used vehicle.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yes bug bombs are the most effective for the house and car just make sure you cover the ac vents inthe car to make sure that stuff doesn't get into the engine compartment as it could possible cause problems and there are flea collars and treatments you can put on your pets as well

6. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

It is pretty standard procedure on the day the dog and/or cat are scheduled for a dip at the vet's office, the house must be treated. You can do it yourself, but ultimately something could be missed or overlooked and the flea problem will persist. The trick to effectively treat fleas is to cover every possible area the pet frequents. Carpets are a big area that harbors flea eggs/larvae and can protect them from any of the so called bombs. Bombs are wholly ineffective since fleas are not flying about in the air space.

Diatomaceous earth are ok, but two problems exist. Firstly, it takes longer to kill them. It will not kill any eggs in the carpeting or other surfaces where the pet frequents. Secondly, getting the product in the air during the application process. People don't protect themselves when applying any kind of products and end up getting hurt in the process. As in the case with diatomaceous earth, it is very hazardous to get the stuff in your lungs.

Usually an exterminator have all the good stuff nescessary to eliminate the flea problem in the house -- stuff you cannot buy at any hardware or do-it-yourself stores. If you want quick results and the treatment done correctly to eliminate any future flea problems, I recommend a professional exterminator to get the job done.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Frontline for the dog, flea bomb (or fogger) for the house.

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Something I forgot...your vacuum cleaner. Fleas aren't killed by it, just sucked up in.

Get a flea collar, and cut it up in 2 inch lengths. Put one in your vacuum bag, and the rest in a sealed ziplock bag that's kept where kids and pets cannot get to it (and don't forget to wash your hands after handling it, or better, wear rubber gloves) to save for later bags.

There's also another thing you can do to keep them off your pets long term - get nutritional yeast from an organic store, and sprinkle a pinch on their food every day. Its not brewer's yeast, which is beer leftovers, and its not garlic which can cause anemia in cats, so your pets aren't going to start smelling weird or wanting your beer. ;)  Its also good for their intestines. But fleas don't like the taste of it at all. I've been using it for the last year with my cat, and didn't have a flea problem at all this summer.

--Moony

9. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    This should do it:
    [​IMG]

10. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    oh yah that would do it alright torch the house, car and the pets real smooth
    :gen069: 

11. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    When we've had fleas (and it's been a few times due to dog fostering) we have gone with the following procecures.

1) Dog baths with flea killing shampoo.
    2) Frontline, frontline, frontline. As soon as the dog is dry.
    3) Flea/Bug bomb.
    4) Crate the dogs in a non-carpet room for a couple of days.
    5) Enjoy flea-less pets.

This has worked the 3 or 4 times we have had to implement it. That said, we keep our two dogs up on Frontline, and usually give our new fosters a bath as soon as they get in, then Frontline THEM to keep the buggers out of the house all together.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

mow the yard with your trim blade set low, then fertilize the crap out of it, but keep the dog in for a few days. Yard bugs will be history, except for the occasional moth or ant.

In the summer you have a nice green lawn to lay some lines in, make the neighbors look like slackers

13. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

You are absolutely correct on this one. Dogs or cats that have fleas are always picked up when they're in tall grass. Adult fleas in the outdoors are always associated with grass and will jump to a nice warm blooded host.

14. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Call a vet?

Yeah yeah I know, crazy ol' CDN and is whacky ideas again.

15. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

This!

16. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Frontline

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the biggest thing. As long as the fleas have a food source, they are going to keep eating and laying eggs. You need to break the cycle.

Also a Flea comb is a big help too. It will get the little buggers out of your dogs fur, and get their poop out which is an irritant to your dogs skin. As soon as you swipe it through quickly dip the comb in hot water to drown the fuckers or else they will jump away.

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Pretty much we just Frontline our dog and two cats. We've never had a flea problem with these (though with the other two cats we used to have and in the house I lived in previously that was a totally different story). Even when we had to look after my aunt's dog and it was crawling with bugs, when it left the house to go back to her a few weeks later (flea-free I might add) we didn't have any little hangers-on left behind.
    I guess we've been really lucky in recent years.

19. r0guearmy

r0guearmy Wizrd. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My cat had a really bad flea problem over the summer and we ended up getting Advantage for her. My sister & I were covered in bites and I ended up being allergic to said bites and something about Advantage's "stops them from biting in 5 minutes" line made it very attractive. After that I simply made the cat hang out in every part of the house so the fleas would jump on her and die, and they never came back.

20. Unicron the Pla

Unicron the Pla Cybertronian Accountant

Now that i live in Mexico my grandmas Dog had fleas after we shower it with flea killing shampoo we mixed some flea powder with oil and sprayed the dog with it then we keep the dog outside for a while then we let the dog back in.