Need help with disassembling a G1 Prime/Magnus thigh/waist section…

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by thebigdb, Oct 18, 2018.

1. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

Hey guys… hopefully I’m putting this in the right section… I can’t find any resources for this… I can’t find it with the search function here… but I’m looking for a ‘how-to’ to disassemble the waist/thigh section on a G1 Prime/Ultra Magnus. I know that it’s been asked & posted 15,000x times before… but I can’t find it at the moment. Taking & putting the front wheels on & off are easy enough to do… but I’m having problems taking that brace/spacer that hold the thighs in place. I have a feeling that’s it’s something as stupid as missing/skipping a step, but I was wondering if anyone can help me on this?

2. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

Toy Polloi did a 3-part series on dissembling and restoring a G1 Optimus:

Also, I don't think that this question belongs in Radicon Customs (a showcase/build log for custom figures). This might belong in Creative General Discussions

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Correct, so off we go!

4. thebigdb

Yeah… I saw that. Good instructional video by the way.

I’ve been taking apart/restoring TF’s for years… so I knew how to disassemble Prime… but even TP doesn’t fully take apart the hips/thighs completely. He just takes the grille out & puts it back in. It’s a pain… but you can take it apart.

The front wheels are easy to take off because all that you need to do is put the legs in a vise, & gently tap the ‘brace’ (I guess you call it) with a punch pin… & used a rubber mallet so I wouldn’t screw something up.

1 wheel wasn’t as easy as the other… but I did get it off by doing the same thing… & gently jerking it off using dental floss.

But once you remove the wheels & side panels 2 bracers holding 2 springs in & the thighs. How do I remove that off the steam is my question? Besides heating it up?

I am just asking because someone put a tutorial out YEARS ago… & I can’t find it now. That’s why I’m asking.

IMG.jpg

5. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

I cannot see well due to the blurriness of the photo, and I don't have a G1 Optimus with me now. Maybe it would be a good idea to relieve the spring tension to inspect carefully on how the brass bits are attached (possibility move them). My suspicions are that the brass-colored bits were crimped on during the manufacturing of the toy. If this is to be the case, I don't think that there would be an effective way to disassemble the figure without permanent damage to the working mechanism.

To avoid destroying the original toy, maybe it would be a good idea to play around with a junker/KO figure off eBay.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    ...sounds painful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. thebigdb

Yeah… that’s what I’m playing around with. Somebody… I don’t know who it was… gave me detailed instructions on how to completely dismantle everything… & I don’t know if it was on this site or on some other TF fansite that now went belly up… but I had saved it on my old computer… & when it died… I lost the instructions. And with the fact that this would have been around 2000-02 when it was posted, good luck in trying to find it.

Basically all that he said was to knock the brass ‘rivet’ off. Because it holds onto the pin with friction. That’s why I was thinking that I could try heating it up to see that would make it pop off. I’m not concerned about putting it back together… I just want to see what the parts look like so that I can reverse engineer them.

I have fully taken cabs apart before & did leg swaps… but it’s been so long that I’ve forgotten what I used to. Because I only did it a handful of times.

I can’t do it right now, but I’m planning on getting either 1 or both… but I am working on getting a tabletop plastic injection machine & CNC… it’s just been a slow process getting there.

Easy & Affordable Low-Volume Desktop Injection Molding Machine

can see reproduction parts been made… but it’s just getting there.

Just like my saber I made…

IMG_20170907_002740_2.jpg