Need help with comic book choice

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Optimus_Prime84, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Optimus_Prime84

Optimus_Prime84 Well-Known Member

So i decided to start reading comics book again, and i bought the TPB Vol1 No Fear of GL, and i was wondering will they release #21-35 as TPB ? I noticed that the HC didnt contain #23.26.27.28 , will they release them later on as a whole? Also what else should i read to comprehend the GL universe? Im thinking of getting 2-3 ongoing titles from DC and some TPB depending on your suggestions and the price.

Also Pricewise, how much is a 2.99$ US issue in Canadian? i bought Final Crisis Rage of Red Lanterns and to my suprise it wasnt 5.75$ for a 3.99$US like it use to be, it 3.99 CANADIAN! So are the regular comic are also 3$ canadian ?

Also another thing, DCU | Comics there it says part 3, altough it should be part 2, what part 1?

No superman/batman/ww, just those title that have heroes not very know well but A-OK reviews like GL.

Also i plan on getting 2-3 titles from Marvel, im getting Nova for sure, since it like GL but Marvel style, also im getting the TPB of Secret Invasion

Thanks

Also Which should i get GL: Rebirth or Recharge?

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    GL rebirth is a better story in my opinion...and recharge is actually green lantern corp...but they're both awesome...and those other issues were part of the sinestro corp war, which crossed back and forth with GLC, so look for the TPB of sinestro corp war, i think the first volume is out in HC and TPB...not sure about the 2nd yet...

also, start at the beginnig of GL and read everything, form rebirth forward...its awesome...

as far as monthly, i'd start with new krypton right now, as well as invincible, the walking dead, and nova...but you already dig nova...so maybe guardians of the galaxy...

3. Optimus_Prime84

They still havent released Green Lantern #14-20 in TPB, they always go Hardcover first, Which is waste of money IMO, so ill wait to get Sinister Corps War Vol 1 and 2 in TPB, also im going to get Rebirth, GL: Revenge of The GL Vol2 which contains 7-13 then 14-20. So i should start at issue 36? Considering it the beginning of a new chapter, Also should i get GL Corps? Considering i want to get involved in the GL universe since it looks way more awesome then Superman/ Batman.

Invincible i read it , was fun, but not the type of comic im looking for, i want comic with violence and alot of awesome plot, Walking dead ? No thanks im done with dead people walking :p  , Nova ill get the TPB if i see that i like it when i pick up issue 19.

Also i how is Deadpool new ongoing? And is Captain America still good? How about the new Thor book?
    Thanks

4. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

If you want lots of violence, awesome plot, great characters and spoods on comicdom from cover to cover, dig up The Boys. It's a great book.24 issues in now, apparently halfway, and I think there are 3-4 GNs of them... I get the single issues, so not sure on the collected versions.

They're spoofing the X-franchise atm. Great stuff. Hughie's gone undercover as a Scottish mutant called Bagpipe.

5. Optimus_Prime84

X franchise are good? How is Incredible Hercules? The boys seems to realistic :p  i want sci-fi sort of comic :p ,
    I would like to have
    2 GL ongoing ( GL and GLC?)
    1 funny comic ( Deadpool or Hercules?)
    1 serious/action pack comic ( NOVA!)
    I might get 1 more if and that is IF the price of comics are lower then 4$ canadian, if it adds up to 4.50-5, i got to get less =/

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    All of Geoff Johns's GL run is or will eventually be collected. I honestly think that some of it - especially the early issues after Rebirth - aren't all that great, but the last year or so of the book has been amazing.

As for other things you've mentioned: the new Deadpool book is terrible, avoid at all costs. Captain America is very good right now. I've heard good things about Thor and Hercules, but I haven't read either. The X-Men books are okay right now, but not incredible - my favorite is Uncanny X-Men, which is really suffering under Greg Land's crappy tracing.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    (1) Concerning the GL stuff, it'll all be out in TPB eventually, it's just DC takes absolutely forever getting their stuff out in the actual trades, rather than hardcovers. What I've generally been hearing is that GL #26 - 28 will be collected in the upcoming "Rage of the Red Lanterns" TPB, likely since they depict the emergence of the second Red Lantern. GL #29 - 35 will be collected as a "Secret Origin" TPB. I'm not sure about GL #23, though, since it seems odd they wouldn't include it in the hardcover, as it was right in the middle of Sinestro Corps War. And definitely pick up GLC. Beyond having a more interesting cast and main character (IMO), the title's really kept up it's momentum since Sinestro Corps War.

(2) I've been out of Canada for awhile, but my understanding is that DC recently made their US and Canadian comic prices equivalent due to the US and Canadian dollars being similar in value now.

8. Lumpy

News Credits:

well, invincible has a fair share of bloody violence, and i love the plot...that's one to go back to the beginning to start...also, if you want the captain america run, i've been thinking of selling my run...i've got everything from the death of captain america to the latest issue...its a great story, just not something i want to keep as loose issues anymore...

and i personally dig the new deadpool series...its pretty fun so far...now that its not tying in with secret invasion, i expect it to get better...

9. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

I usually wait for comics to be released in paperback TPB (are the hardcovers ones still referred to as TradePaperBack?) but I was so hyped about owning Sinestro Corps War that I got Vol. 1 , Vol. 2, and Tales of the Sinestro Corps all in hardcover. And I just grabbed Wanted:Hal Jordan in hardcover. This makes me want to go back and get Rebirth, No Fear, and Revenge..., in hardcover. They look so cool without the jackets. All look the same I guess, but they so pretty.

10. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, i need all the Johns GL in hardcover...i only buy the stuff i love the most in hardcover...so far all i've bought in HC is invincible, the walking dead, and one GL book...

11. Optimus_Prime84

I got to admit the Hardcover are better for collection, but i prefer more to read more, then collect less considering the HC are way more expensive. It average an extra 5-10$ which i can use to buy another TPB or 2 ongoing titles , and since im only 16, i have a small budget :p  Im going to see if there are previews for Thor #600, Deadpool #4, Incredible Hercules and Captain america to see how they are, before buying them. I might just skip the whole death of captain america arc too(read about it on wiki), get Secret Invasion TPB, and get into the marvel universe with 2-3 ongoing from there. Then get GLC #29+ and Green Lantern #36+ , so that 4-5 ongoing titles which if is 4$ Canadian top each, should be no more then 16-20$, so i can keep 5$ extra for TPB or one shots. Budget probably be 25$ or less/monthly, no more x.x

Thanks for the help people .