Need help with car color

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by UnicronHound, Apr 15, 2008.

1. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey there, I'm fixing up a 1963 Valiant and wanted some opinions with the final car color. The inner color is going to be blue, with black middle for the seats, and the same for the door panels, and black carpet.

Example of seats and door panels:

[​IMG]

Beginning:

[​IMG]

First idea:

[​IMG]

Second idea:

[​IMG]

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd make the blue darker. Or just a little less saturation. Not sure what you need help with though. I guess I prefer the second idea.

3. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    personally i wouldn't go two-tone, i see it too much, no longer unique (especially when it's accords i see it on, or 80's crown victorias). i would go solid color. [edit] then again, i just realized there's a second option that my computer here at work isn't showing, so i'll stick with my opinion until i see the second option later [second edit] are you hard set on blue? you might consider some of the other Chrysler colors like Plum Crazy Metallic

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I rarely see two-tone paint on cars myself. I like both of your ideas, though I think you should also consider doing something on the hood. It looks like there's a natural divider that, if painted differently than the rest of the hood, would be pretty neat.

5. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I like the first idea!

Or you could paint it pink with yellow polka dots.

6. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    as long as you know you're going two-tone: second idea. while what people like is always completely subjective, in general, i've always found that darker colors above lighter colors look far better than lighter above darker. same in this case and definitely with black as one of the colors. and you've chosen two nice ones with the other being blue; now make sure you pick the right shades.

7. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

You can do two-tone with either a breaker-stripe or a fade. Personally I would paint the entire cark something like a saphire mica - no metallics, they lay too heavy. After the car is one solid color youd want to spray on the black. Start at the bottom with a solid stripe all the way across the length of the car. Afterwards start arcing the gun as you make your auxillary passes - fading out the color. Coat the entire mixture with a pearlescent clear for looks, then add another two coats of acrylic clear for protection.

I can tell you right now you're looking at $2000 for materials easily. This car right here cost me $1700 for simple black mica paint and black spectra-prime primer. I did the painting myself - thus saving another $500 easily.

[​IMG]

~Z (who does Autobody)

PS: Lemme get an unaltered pic of that car from 3/4 overhead, side profile, and 3/4 rear overhead. I'll photochop your paint job for you. I can do the interior, too.

8. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    It's more natural - many animals are shaded darker below and lighter on top. Granted, most animals aren't as contrasty as the car.

In this case, the vivid blue below the black looks really hot, like it's being lit from underneath by a blowtorch.

9. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I take it back, I just looked at them again and the second one is better.