need help with camera settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jazz89, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

so i didnt know where else to post this but, does anyone have advice for setting a DSLR camera so that it will take crisp pictures under low light conditions, specifically indoors. ive tried the flash and all that does is over-expose my subject. i am trying to do some shots of my Transformers collection and need some advice for this. my camera is a GE X5 camera. any help or advice would be helpful:thumbs2: 

2. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    NEVER use flash in low light conditions.

If you mess around with the ISO and Aperture and practice, you're bound to get the right settings required.

It has been a while since I've handled a camera, so I'm sure someone else who is more experienced can help.

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just a note, I know **NOTHING** about cameras of photography, so the following may turn out to be bullshit :) :

Keep your ISO low to keep your pictures as crisp as possible, and your aperture to whatever you want (It'll vary the degree of light your lens lets in off the bat, but it's not something you should really be using FOR lighting).

It's your shutter speed that is going to help absorb light into your picture and brighten it without flash. The slower the shutter speed, the more light your picture is going to take in. With that, you'll need to use a tripod, because any movement while the shutter is still going will cause blur in your pictures.

4. jazz89

thanks for the advice guys, here are a couple pictures to hopefully show you what problems im having
    with the flash:
    [​IMG]
    without the flash:
    [​IMG]

5. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ok... ummm... not trying to be funny, but did you try what was suggested?

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    My guess is that he took those pics before trying anything else new, but I could be wrong.

Either way, what you said made perfect sense to me, and it's generally what I've done to make still lifes look decent. Granted, I can't really prove this right now because both my camera & computer are fucked, but you know. +rep.

#HornsToAsses

7. jazz89

just tried the settings and this one seems to look a little better to me:
    [​IMG]

8. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Woah, the picture is way too noisy. Try lowering your ISO and your shutter speed. Then lowering your aperture to the lowest f number it will go and give it a shot. And DO NOT ever try to use flash, it spoils the picture with artificial lighting. Also, these settings are to be done on Manual mode (Switch to M on the knob). Hope this helps.

9. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    The lighting is a shit ton better, but as the above poster said, it IS really noisy.

What, in particular, did you change?

#HornsToAsses

10. jazz89

well basically i changed the iso to the lowest setting, which for my camera is iso80, and i set shutter speed to lowest number as well. i wonder why it looks so grainy/noisy. practice makes perfect though right lol

11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Don't set the shutter speed to the lowest. You set it to a higher number dude. The higher the number, the longer the shutter, and the more natural light it'll bring in. Then you won't have to do any photoshopping to brighten it at all.

Just experiment with higher shutter speed settings until you find the right now. And USE A TRIPOD.

12. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

Is it a Canon? If so, switch to Tv mode and set the shutter speed to 1/30 or 1/20. The aperture and ISO will be determined by the camera.

13. jazz89

oh well its a GE X5 camera. i am using a tripod lol ill have to wait until the batteries charge now so yeah but thanks for the advice guys, ill see what i can do based on the advice when the batterires are revived lol maybe i should use the allspark