Customs: Need help with a COMBINER.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sideways77, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I'm making a Movieverse Bruticus. But I need some help and advise.

What figure could I use for Onslaught? I was thinking DoTM Voyager Megatron, Voyager Sentinel, or Leader Sentinel.

What could I use for combiner ports? The 5mm pegs don't quite work for the figures I'm using, so what can I use?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. thebigdb

thebigdb Well-Known Member

I hear you… I’ve started working on making a Masterpeice Combiner… so I am somewhat in the same boat. From what I have seen, most people use Lego technic parts… even ports from other combiners from different sets. I know for a fact that there are sellers on Shapeways.com that sell Transformer connection ports. So that might be worth checking out. I hope that this somewhat helps!

3. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Technic? Never thought of that. I have plenty of old Bionicle parts laying around, maybe I could use those.

As for connection, I'm trying to. Connect:

Torso (Most likely Megs)
    Arms (Terradive and Tomohawk)
    Legs (Brawn and Brawl)

4. thebigdb

Hmmm… I kind of hard to say. When I look at the list, I think of Energon or maybe PCC ports for tight joints & pose ability. I got to find you that link of the repro ports on Shapeways. In some ways it’s cheaper than taking another figure & gutting it. With the combiner I am making… I am looking at the issue of weight (because it will be large). Energon ports are pretty sturdy, but depending on the figure… the ratcheting joint sometimes can’t handle the extra weight. I don’t know if you’ve played with the FansProject Bruticus… but when you attach the feet… the weight is too much for the joint to keep posed. But it’s a sturdy lock. I hope this helps.

5. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I've been looking into Energon Ports, but I have nowhere to put a slot in Swindle or Brawl.

PCC ports.... Same issue. And I only have one PCC.

And Brawl is my biggest worry. With the way he's positioned as a leg, I can't find any place to add a port or connector.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Struxx are also good sources for combiner ports and joints...as are Lego Knights ratchet joints.

7. vidmouse

vidmouse Well-Known Member

The Devastator I'm currently working on is using Lego Super Heroes joints... ball and socket pretty much.

8. thebigdb

Well a late post… but I just thought that I would get back to you on this. I haven’t had a chance to play with this yet, but I was advised & will try out a product called Hexa-pipe for joint connections. I personally haven’t used it yet, but I am going to. I found these on eBay & Hobby Link Japan carries them. I hope that this helps with your custom!

9. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    I finally started my project.

The connectors for DoTM Megs (Who will be Onslaught)have been glued. But what would be a better material than the bland Super Glue I'm using?

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Epoxy.

11. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    Is that clay or a glue?

And where do you find it?

12. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Available both as a 2 part liquid and as a two part putty in many different formulas.

Liquid can be found almost anywhere along with the other glues. The putty (which I prefer) can be harder to find in brick and mortar stores, if it's not with the other glues, your best bet is to check the automotive and plumbing sections, but not all stores have it.

13. Constructor

Constructor Witness my true form!

Testors plastic cement,
    Give it a try.

14. thebigdb

1 other glue that I use apart from epoxy ix Gorilla glue. But be warned though… use gloves when you use it… & this stuff will bond whatever you are putting together forever.